°•eight•°

"You gonna explain yourself?" Michonne asks, glancing back to where I sat in the backseat as Tara speeds us back to Alexandria.

"Don't blame me!" I defend, "I was following what Rick told me to do."

"Rick!" she scolds, "Did you put her in danger?"

"No," he pants, still exhausted from the near explosive fight, "I didn't."

"Then why do you have a Kingdom gun? Or a gun at all for that matter?" Rosita questions from the passenger seat.

I look to Rick, feeling at a loss.

We'd had two guns before. Carl carried one and Rick had his Colt that Daryl, who had been talked into staying at the Kingdom, found and brought back to him from the Sanctuary. So, when we got into the vehicle and there were suddenly three guns, it was a quick topic for discussion.

"I told her to get in with those other two. Jerry and Benjamin.. I'd talk to the King and Richard as long as she could get to either or," Rick explains.

"That is putting her at risk. We don't know those people, she could've gotten hurt," Michonne tells him.

"But, I didn't," I step in, "And Benjamin said he would talk to the King. Ezekiel has been raising him and his brother since they lost their dad. If anybody can get through to him and get him to listen- it'll be Benjamin."

"Exactly. She did what I asked. Now, we've got Richard and Benjamin on our side. Two of Ezekiel's closest people are agreeing with us. And Daryl's gonna talk to him while he stays there."

Carl sighs beside me, looking out the window then back to Rick as Michonne slowly relaxes in her seat.

From the driver's seat, Tara speaks up, "They're right. Having two of his own on our side like that.. he'll listen to them."

"And he will come around," Rick agrees, a stern nod to everyone.

Once he's looked to everyone, he repeats himself, "He will."

--

As we just step into the gates back home, Rick begins leading the protocol. Just awhile ago, Negan's voice came through the radio that Jesus gave us, announcing Daryl  was gone from his cell and demanding the Saviors search for him immediately.

"Listen, we need to get everyone ready," Rick says to Tobin, "They're com-"

No further words could be spoken as the loud engine of a motorcycle is heard. Within seconds, it's seen getting closer to the gates. Behind it, a few trucks the Saviors used to take supplies followed close behind. And behind those, even more bikes.

As they pass through, I keep my back toward the guard post. Once all are inside and far enough away, I slip my hand to the gun, pulling it out and dropping it on the ground. Kicking it to the side, I make sure it's hidden behind the pole and in the branches of the bushes before nonchalantly walking closer to Carl just as the Saviors begin to emerge from their trucks.

Simon is the one to speak to us, his arms open with what I figure is his idea of a friendly smile on his face.

"Rick," he says, "Hello. And.. hello again."

"We thought it'd be longer," Rick says, not bothering with the greetings.

"Do you think we're here for a tribute? Do you?" Simon asks rhetorically.

"Is there another reason?" Rick wonders, acting clueless.

"There is," Simon confirms, "We're here for Daryl."

"Negan took Daryl," Rick snaps back.

"Ohh.. But, then your son showed up," Simon points to Carl, "Daryl went missing- might those two things be connected?"