✤chapter 11

Tossing her hair to the back, Hyuna attempted to take small bites, hoping the dessert would last long. Minho set aside the chopsticks, bringing the phone into his right hand. Swiping through the details again, he looked at the woman before him with unwavering attention.

He watched her stir the ice cream, for it had now turned completely fluid. 'Why aren't you eating? You don't like brown rice too?' Hyuna asked, devouring her last scoop. Minho shook his head, feeling a sudden loss of appetite.

Maybe she's just a look-alike. Locking his phone, Minho asked her the question bugging him for few minutes. He had waited long for her to finish eating. 'What's your name?'

'Oh I forgot to introduce myself, Kang Hyuna,' the woman leaned forward, extending her hand. 'You can call me Hyuna.'

'You recently had a press meet. Could we talk about why it got canceled?' the anchor asked. The recording staff's eyes widened at the subject. That question certainly wasn't on the script. Watching the political guest's smile fade, the interviewer smirked. The reaction was enough to get the public gossip. 

Park Sungho has always had to remain the uncontroversial politician. Part of his image was to stay polite, even though his hand itched to hit the lady in front.

'Mr. Park, people are assuming you are quitting the presidential. Please assure them it isn't true,' the woman continued.

'We planned to announce pride month campaign. Our party fully believes in supporting the LGBTQ+ community. But unfortunately, Mrs. Park fell sick. What could anyone do, I am a husband before a politician,' the grey-haired man stated. Earning applause from the live audience. With one statement he had won over the youth and women.

'Amazing. We'll take a quick break,' The anchor said, pulling out the earpiece. The answer wasn't what she expected. The opposition had not paid her to make Park Sungho a hero, but now it looked like he became one, regardless.

Bringing up a fake campaign seemed a solution to hide their son getting stood up at the wedding. 'He has a way to handle things.' Jiwoo shifted his cold eyes from the TV to the woman next to him. Resting on the recliner comfotably, the lady gave a slight cough, practicing her fake fever. A maid brought in warm soup, placed it on the table, and left.

'Your father has ideas of making me unnecessarily sick,' the soft-spoken woman replied. She was bitter about the events. All her efforts of being the nice mother-in-law wasted by Mr. Kim's daughter.  Bringing the ceramic bowl closer, her eyes moved to her wrinkled hands. 'Hand creams aren't working.'

'At your age, it's natural,' Jiwoo said, trying to deal with his mother's aging concerns.

'I am not a grandmother yet. How dare you tell me I am old,' the woman in question argued. 'Ask any man from the eighties, they'll say Seo Jang Mi is their first love. Your dad just got lucky.'

Jiwoo smiled at the comment. He had heard it a million times before, and he knew what would follow next. The story of how a country's darling left her stardom to marry a struggling politician.

It was a normal afternoon at SHINee, not so normal for Choi Minho though. His mind conflicted with thoughts. How could he get lucky, the target walking to himself? But the doubt of why anyone would want Hyuna killed, made him uneasy.