Chapter Twelve

Começar do início

I was readying myself in shame.

Because when he stated something about Science and you replied "Oh really?"

He will answer in poker face, "Yes. How come you didn't know that?"

Just thinking of that made me want to throw my plate over his face.

Tomorrow, I'll be dating Johnny. "The maniac doctor"

Remember not to work with him, because you'll commonly see him in his room, or even in a vacant hospital room doing something "nasty" with nurses.

Trust me. His pick up lines never fail to reach the nurses pants.

I sighed and realized. It's hard to find someone who will love you with no ifs, no buts, no even if and no because.

I don't want a man who will tell me "I love you because, I love you if, I love you even if, I love you but..."

I simply want a man, that will tell me...

"I love you period"

Because True Love is not meant to be explained...but felt.

I washed away all the crazy thoughts in my head and told my nurse-secretary to let the first patient in.

I had a long day today. In public hospitals, we spend long time, low salary, but I do not mind.

It is enough for me to help others.

My profession is about service and not about profit.

My profession demands an equal service for the poor and the rich.

That's why we are called professionals.

Today I had another unique encounter.

The woman is twenty, hesitant to get inside my office.

Her first question was "How much will it cost for her to consult to a doctor?"

My nurse told her the value.

She looked at her purse and counted her money. When she was finished, she gave it to my nurse.

It was an exact amount, mostly was coins. Nothing was left on her purse. Not even a cent.

I just silently observe her. Looking at her belly, I think she is five months pregnant already.

She entered the room hesitantly. I asked her where her husband is.

She just shook her head, enough for me to get the answer.

I asked her to lay down and asked when was the last time she got checked...

She told me it was the first time.

I wanted to ask for more information, but I did not want to hurt her.

She is a young mom with no boyfriend or husband, or even a family with her.

I told her to relax and nothing is gonna hurt.

"There. That's your baby" Her eyes grew wider and silent tears escaped her eyes.

"Do you want to hear the heartbeat?" I asked she wiped her tears away and nodded.

I am happy to know that the baby is okay. And the baby is a boy.

I oriented her the proper do's and don'ts for her pregnancy, and when she got off the table I asked her, "Do you want a copy of your sonogram?"

She looked at me with a pain in the eyes. She shook her head slowly and said, "Sorry doc, my money was just enough for the check up. I-I cannot afford it anymore."

I might be a doctor. And as a rule, we cannot show sympathy on our patients.

But I almost cried for her.

She was a young mom, wanting to fulfill her duties as a mother.

She smiled and rubbed her belly. "This might be the last time I'll see him too doc. A-after I gave birth to him, I'll give him to a social worker. I-I cannot afford raising him... If I just didn't gave in to the lust, He should not be here..."

"He should have not been suffering."

I suddenly hugged her tight... Feeling the sincereness in her voice... Remembering Aubrey and Davy.

And the thing I mutter to myself was I am lucky.

I am very lucky.

In the end I gave her back her money and gave her the sonogram, even gave her milk. I told her to come back every month to me and it will be free. Even her birth giving will be free.

Why?

Simply because I know I am so lucky, that God made me this lucky to share my blessings to other people.

When my office went closed, I stayed a little longer on my room, eyes closed, sitting on my chair.

But a low deep sexy voice disturbed me. "Doc, I'm here for a check up.

I immediately opened my eyes and surprised to see who was in front of me...

Vince.

He had a sexy smile on his face and one long stemmed tulip on his hand.

I stand straight up and snobbishly told him. "Sorry. I'm an Ob-Gyne and not a Psychiatrist." Ha! Serves him right.

He was blocking my way, but I do not care. Instead, I grabbed my bag and forced myself to passed through him but I did not succeed.

"Excuse me mister, but I have a date to attend. I don't want to be rude but we are close already and this is exclusive for girls!" Where did you see a man seeing an OB-Gyne for check up?!

He held me by the waist tightly, leaving the tulip on the table. His eyes were blazing in anger, looking straight at me. "And to whom are you going out with?!" He angrily hissed.

"None of your business!" I spat.

He let go of my waist and rubbed his hand over his hair frustratingly, muttering curses.

When he was done doing his crazy shit he grabbed my face with both his hand, pushing himself to me. Kissing me until we go breathless.

I will be a hypocrite if I say I did not miss his lips.

Because I really really, really did.

He nibbled my lips, and took more time to kiss me.

Like he was coping up with the last two weeks that we haven't seen each other.

Yes. I've been counting.

When he was satisfied, catching his breath he said. "Fine. I will"

Frowning I asked. "What?"

"I will do this. Let's give it a try. Will you be my girl?"