"Whatever," I mumbled, untying my apron and throwing it on the floor. "Goodbye."

Was I bitter? A little.

I shot the group that just cost me my job a nasty look, shaking my head at Andy as I walked behind the bar to grab my shit.

"What happened?" he asked, drying a tumbler with a tea towel.

"She fired me."

His eyes widened. "What, why?"

I pulled on my leather jacket, flipping my long hair from underneath the fabric and letting it flow in waves down my back. "Because I stood up for myself."

At that, I walked out of the bar, the cold night air slapping me in the face as soon as I stepped outside.

With my keys between my fingers, I made my way home, my apartment pretty close to my former workplace. It was past midnight, and the streets were dark and empty, but I preferred it.

Most people were asleep, meaning they weren't bothering me, and it was the only time I could think. If I wasn't looking over my shoulder every second to see if I was being followed, that is.

A breath of relief left my lips when I entered my apartment building, and I slouched against my door when I closed it behind me, the remaining alcohol in my system making me nauseous.

Ok, maybe drinking on the job wasn't the best idea.

After locking the door, I dropped my keys on the dinner table, and made my way to my bedroom, ready to pass out.

I woke up with the worst headache the next morning, my eyelids unable to fully shield me from the sunlight my room was currently bathing in.

Groaning, I rolled onto my stomach, burying my face into my pillow. I hate my life.

It took me about an hour to get my ass out of bed and into the shower, the water somewhat helping my mood and easing the pounding in my head.

I decided on some fruit for breakfast, mostly because I couldn't keep anything else down, and turned on the TV for some background noise.

Checking my phone for the time, I realized that I didn't have a job to be late for anymore. It was a good feeling, before all of a sudden, panic set in.

"Oh my god," I breathed out, cradling my face in my hands. There was no way I could afford to lose another job.

I looked up when someone slid a piece of paper under the door. What now?

With hesitation in my step, I walked up to my front door, grabbing the letter and flipping it over. Oh, how I wished it was a letter.

My eyes widened at the words eviction notice, and I felt my chest tighten. I knew I was behind on rent, but surely it hadn't been that long, right?

What was I going to do? I couldn't possibly call my parents, especially since I was the one who insisted on moving out while I hadn't finished college yet, and Maria's apartment was barely big enough for the tiny Latina herself, let alone two people.

Sure, my best friend would let me stay a couple of nights, but I honestly didn't want to bother her with my shit. Which leaves me with one option.

My brother it is.

Reading over the piece of paper in my hand one more time, seeing that I really couldn't fight this, I sighed.

Maybe it was a good idea to take a few weeks anyway. I'm only twenty-two, I have my whole life ahead of me.