seven.

To say that Warren and Astrid's argument ended badly was putting it lightly. There weren't screams nor tears or too much drama, but it was their first big fight since they started going out. Not even Freeze Girl had managed to cause this much of a mess between them.

The punkish boy tried to reason with his girlfriend that his decision didn't mean anything, that he was taking pity on Flower Girl as she looked miserable, and that it was an opportunity to get some revenge on Will.

"So Will Stronghold is more important than our relationship," Astrid accused. "Would you rather make him jealous instead of going with me to Homecoming?" She scoffed. "Well, good to know where your priorities stand."

"You know that's not what I mean," he passed his hand through his hair in exasperation.

"Oh, do I?" She rose one of her perfect eyebrows. "Because from my point of view, you're ditching me, your girlfriend, to go with another girl only to provoke a guy you hate. Is it really worth it?"

Warren sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry, it was a stupid decision I made at the spur of the moment. It's just that..." he paused. "Last night, she looked like she was about to cry when Stronghold didn't show up."

Her grey eyes watched him for a moment.

"You smiled at her," she said softly.

"Huh?"

"You never smile at anyone but me. Never display any emotion besides annoyance. But you gave Green one as if she was special."

Astrid didn't want to come out as a whining, spoiled girl, but after having Warren all to herself for two years, it was hard not to feel possessive of him. She had always considered some kind of superpower her ability to make him smile, and she felt like the most fortunate girl for being the receiver of so much affection from a boy who openly averted to it.

"Ast, are you jealous?" He asked with a hint of smugness in his voice.

"Good to know you're enjoying it," she crossed her arms. "Cause that month of no-dating? That can extend for a longer period. Like forever."

Warren closed his eyes in distress. "Please, don't do this."

"Do what? You apparently have some soft spot for this girl, so go on, help her. But don't talk to me until you figure this out. Cause I don't share my boyfriend."

🔥

Astrid lived the worst weeks of her life during that game of pretending between Warren and Layla. The Stormy Girl sat by herself during lunch, flew to school and back instead of taking the bus, and conversed with Warren only when they had school work. He tried to explain the situation many times, but she stubbornly refused to listen, especially when Flower Girl would pop out of nowhere and latch herself onto his arm as a girlfriend would.

Now, Warren never looked pleased when it happened, yet, he still didn't dismiss her. And to top it all, Lash took advantage of the fact Warren wasn't there anymore to scare him away and started pestering the silver-haired girl more frequently, insisting on going to Homecoming with her.

One of the now-rare bright mornings, around a month and a half after their break up, the group of sidekick friends enjoyed themselves during a free period when Gwen passed by pulling Will with her and away from his friends. Upon seeing this, Layla quickly caught sight of Warren reading by himself at his usual spot and joined him, taking his hand in hers.

"Hey there, cutie. So I was thinking about you. I cannot wait until Homecoming. I'm so excited. I finally..." She trailed off, following with her eyes Will and Gwen leaving, oblivious to the glare on Warren's face or to the fact that the blue sky suddenly got grey.