Chapter 26

Marcellius' POV
It was pitch black outside when our plane landed back in New York. We were all irritated, hungry, and ready to finally have a full night's sleep. When we reach the foot of the plane's steps, my limo driver Ramzi greets us with a tip of his hat. "How was your trip sir?"

"Nauseating," I tell him, honestly. It's taking us much longer than we expected to find out who these groups of men are. We spent an entire week in California tracking them down, planning funerals, and breaking families hearts. Besides providing families with closure, the trip was a complete waste of time.

"I'm sorry to hear that sir."

Getting into the limo, I open up the mini fridge and grab myself a pint of Gelato. Just as I'm about to shove a spoonful of the delicious dessert in my mouth, my phone rings. Groaning with frustration from having been interrupted, I reach inside my jacket pocket and pull out of my phone. I'm surprised to see who the caller is.

Handing the Gelato to Niccolo, I slide the green button across the screen and press the phone up to my ear. "Mr. Davis?" I was taken aback by his unexpected call.

He never calls me, which makes my heart drop. All I can think about is Mia. I would go completely insane if something ever happened to her. I can feel everyone's eyes on me at the mention of Mia' father.

"Don't make me have to question the promise you made to my precious daughter Marcellius." His tone makes it quite clear that he doesn't play about his daughter. He's protective of her like a father should be. I should know. I am the exact same way when it comes to my son.

"I understand sir," I say with a head nod.

"Do you?" He questions.

"Positive sir. I will not break my word."

"Good." The dial tone fills my ears, and I know that he's ended the call.

Slipping the phone back into my pocket, I look over at Niccolo. I glare at him angrily, noticing that he has eaten my Gelato. He licks his lips, handing me back the empty container. I look down at the disturbingly clean container, then back up at him. He shrugs, "I was hungry and you were taking too long."

"You heartless asshole! That was the last fucking one! "A sinister grin forms on his lips. There isn't a hint of remorse behind those hazel eyes. I'm about to strangle his ass for eating my Gelato when Ramzi pulls into the driveway of our luxury mansion.

Niccolo was lucky we got home before I killed his ass, because our mother always keeps extra Gelato in the deep freezer located in the garage. Selfishness runs in the family.

Exiting the vehicle, I reach in my pocket and pull out my wallet. Grabbing a couple hundred dollars, I hand it to Ramzi. "Take the week off. Go see your family mio amico(my friend)."

He nods, holding back tears. "Thank you sir."

Placing a hand on his shoulder, I give him a nod and head into the garage for a new Gelato. Walking past the row of sports cars, I stop in front of the deep freezer. Lifting the lid, I grab the pint of Gelato on the top before heading into the house.

It's quiet, which brings me to the conclusion that everyone has gone to sleep. Turning the corner, I walk down the corridor until I'm standing in front of Selene and Miko's bedroom. Gently knocking on the door, I peek my head in. Selene wakes up from the sudden light shining in the dark room. "Marcel?"

"I didn't mean to wake you. I just wanted to check in on Miko." She points beside her where Miko is sound asleep. Stepping into the room, I walk over to where Miko is sleeping and sit down on the edge of the bed. I run a hand through his curls, a small grin on my face.