010.

010. the first of many

YOU KNOW those movies- like... men in black? (cadie doesn't know- she never really watched movies like that, just... hang on- she'll get to her point, okay?). like the whole superspy who has these big helicopters and there's always that one car chase scene in the movie. how could this possibly link with the quest cadie was on, i hear you ask? well, everything was actually going pretty fine. sure, she was a bit achey from the whole nearly singing herself to death, and yeah- there were other bad things too; but they'd managed to get away in the van. so things had been going smoothly for a while. a good thing, actually. really good. they'd just crossed the potomac however, when they spotted the helicopter.

see this is where men in black comes into this.

the helicopter in quite high-tech (not really, cadie just doesn't know how to describe a helicopter). it was a sleek black military model, just like the one they'd seen at westover hill. and even better knews (sarcasm) it was coming straight towards them.

"they know we're in the van," percy said, "we have to ditch it."

zoë swerved into the fast lane, but the helicopter was gaining on them"

"maybe the military will shoot it down," grover said in a hopeful tone.

"the military probably thinks it's theirs," grumbled lilly, "bunch of bright filament lightbulbs in that sector, hm? am i right or am i right?"

"how can the general use mortals?" questioned cadie, "shouldn't they know better?"

"they're mercenaries," zoë said bitterly. "it is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid."

"but don't these mortals see who they're working for?" percy asked, looking like he was pouting (cute, she thought, no- not cute!), "don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

zoë shook her head, "i don't know what those mortals think they are seeing through all that mist. i doubt it would matter to them anyways, even if they knew or saw the truth." she looked to cadie, "and to answer your question; no, they probably don't. sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

the helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time then they were through d.c traffic. thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. "hey, dad. a lightning bolt would be nice about now, please?"

the sky stayed gray and snowy. so, no sign of help from any sort of thunderstorm. cadie let out a meep of fear, turning to lilly, "you think your dad can help us?"

lilly snorted, "the guy's probably got shipments to give to gods. nah, kudos to him for keeping up with everybody's mail, though." they looked to percy, "what? good ol' poseidon hasn't got a spork for us to help shovel them away?"

"shut up," grumbled percy, red with embarrassment, "it was one time during spring break- i told you this in confidence as we travelled here."

"you told everybody that, dingbat," snapped thalia, peering out of the window, "they're getting closer!"

"there!" bianca finally blurted out, "that parking lot!"

"we'll be trapped," exclaimed zoë.

"just trust me," bianca managed.

zoë shot across two lanes of traffic and into a mall parking lot on the south bank of the river. they left the van quickly, spilling out and following bianca down some steps. cadie nearly tripped as she went down, but thankfully was able to calm herself enough that she didn't become a panicked mess.