007.

007. let's talk business

CADIE WAS... in shock, for lack of better words for the situation. though, it's quite a fair statement. nobody really knows what to think when the oracle that hasn't moved since... ever suddenly just strolls around after a capture  the flag game one day. and by the way- somebody needs to tell the oracle that another prophecy is not a good present for the winning team of capture the flag. it was safe to say as the oracle dropped like it had never moved in the first place that everybody was in shock in general. they all stared around for a good few minutes, looking around at each other. for one thing, quests generally worked better in three's. and this was seven. though seven was... albeit a magic number in itself, it was a lot of people who were like walking taco-bells to monster.

obviously, percy and grover were task with hauling the oracle back to the attic. something cadie was thankful she wasn't doing. the attic where the oracle was held bad memories for cadie. poor ten-year-old her got her life crushed in that place. it wasn't something she liked to remember particularly. of course she'd had to accept it- perhaps just push it away and try ignore it, that was what she did sometimes. but the room still scared her. it was where she was basically told she'd died. and back then that had broken her heart. all her ambitions when she was young- composer, soloist of an orchestra, music teacher, producer- they all crashed and burned so quickly.

cadie had read when she was little that there was a rumour around symbonies. there was a rumour to do with classical music that every composer wrote only nine symphonies in their life- and when they went to their ninth, it was always said it was to be their last. and there was fact to this statement, beethoven only wrote nine. and mahler whilst trying to write his tenth got pneumonia. so yes, there was a fact to this whole superstition. but cadie had called it bullshit at the age of eleven. she always had said to herself that she would be the first to write ten symphonies. and she was getting close to finishing her first. symphonies took inspiration, and since her first one she started when she was twelve, she was considerably lacking in that department.

nothing yet made her creative... spark.

"stop staring at the sheet music, you might burn a hole into it," teased layla as she entered their cabin. they'd all been sent back after the oracle incident, and the air at camp was buzzing. some with fear, some with excitement and the general mood of the place was just.. nervous.

"i want to write ten," she pouted, "but how am i supposed to do that when i can hardly get past one? i..." she sighed, "it's dumb, i guess. but if i'm gonna die... i guess i just wanna do something before i do." she turned to layla, "hey- if i do finish my first symphony, will you listen to it?"

"i'll come back for the tenth one." snorted layla, "get writing, miss musical."

"i will," she sighed, scrambling for a pencil, crossing out a rhythm within the cello section of the first movement. "i hate the standard protocol for symphonies. why'd you have to have four movements? why does it always have to be a bit too happy? fuck you- can't i have a sad one?"

"nobody said you can't just shove ten movements into a symphony. it's your symphony."

"that's, like, the dumbest thing i've heard you say," grumbled cadie, grabbing a rubber. "you know what? nope. i'll handle this later- nope."

"awe- c'mon cades," grinned layla, swinging her arm with cadie's, "have a little fun. you're you- put your spin on some stuffy classical shit."