001.

001. oblivious to herself

CADIE WAS always told not to call and drive. especially if she was so nervous. but then, of course, that gave her more reason to call her friends. not actually call- phone weren't usually a thing for camp half-blood. no, she was driving her precious little beetle car (the old and vintage kind) that was painted a pretty cream colour down to her next destination point. she gripped the steering wheel tightly, looking around and letting out panicked breaths. the tightness of her chest was getting to her as she turned for the exit. she'd be there soon. it only took around eight hours from camp to bar harbour, maine. sleet and snow pounded the highway, but that wasn't what bothered her.

"i'm telling you, lilly! i'm scared," breathed cadie, "i haven't spoken to them all in months! i haven't seen them in months! what if they don't like me anymore? what if... fuck what if i have another pa-"

"cadie." cut in cam's voice, soothing but firm, "listen to me. you have nothing to worry about. percy and annabeth aren't evil demons-"

"annabeth's a pretty demon, actually," cut in lilly, "...right, sorry- i'll shut up."

"and they're not going to mock and bully you. grover could hardly hurt a fly and certainly wouldn't hurt you. and thalia is... well thalia is thalia, she's a decent person, right? we spoke to her over summer." cam reasoned, adding, "and anyway- chiron told you if you don't feel able you can always-"

"but that's not the point!" she spoke, honking the car horn loudly as she yelled, "get in your lane, asshole!" she peaked a glance at the mirror she was using as a direct route to seeing her friends, "i'm not going to sing a couple of lyrics and kill some middle school kids, that's not the point! what if they don't like me anymore? and a party? dude i don't do parties- i do campfires with mushy marshmallows. not awkward and terrifying places full of kids who are older and younger than me. no."

"stay away from the crowd, then, stick with everybody else," reasoned lily, "and before you go off on a tangent about how none of them like you- shut up. you're fine, okay? stop being a dumbass, you're going to be fine. say it with me: i am going to be fine-"

"i am going to be fine," she mumbled reluctantly as she turned onto the road leading up to westover hall.

"i am not going to panic about people not liking me-"

"... do i really have to say it?"

"yes!" chorused back both her friends.

"fine." she sighed, "i am not going to panic about people not liking me."

"and i am not going to sing a bunch of prepubescent kids to death," added cam.

"why the fuck would i do that, this isn't my villan arc, cam- shut up!" snapped cadie as she began to park. she looked around, spotting a crowd of people waiting in the car park, "shit- they're here. i've got to go- okay? fuck. fuck. fuck-"

"alright stop worrying, antisocial bitch," huffed cam, "don't die- come back safe!"

"bye!" added lilly. and with that, their faces stopped showing in the mirror and she looked around with a frown on her face. she was here. and her heart was beating far too fast. ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum. it was like a quick paced tempo playing the nervous piece of her life. she stepped out of her car, letting out a deep breath- hit with cold air.