016.

016. the fleece brings back the dead

THAT AFTERNOON was one of the happiest she'd ever spent at camp. not only was she finally home (which mean tonight she'd finally get some decent sleep. maybe no dreams!) and safe, but she was finally with her friends and family now. she spent the whole of their archery lesson laughing along with their debate on whether or not mecrutio was gay (the only character they'd accept from romeo and juliet) and which play was the best (they seemed to all be stuck between a midsummers nights dream, much ado about nothing and macbeth). she laughed happily as will told them all to stop bumping into shit! i only have so many hello-kitty plasters! and snorted as lee stole one and placed on his chin.

she lowered the bow after firing her arrow, staring at layla in wonder. the girl was glaring intently at the target before she let it go. it fired straight to a bullseye and she stepped back, a small little smile creeping onto her face.

"how'd you get that so precisely?" cadie wondered, staring at the bullseye, "i mean... wow."

"anger and a lot of hard work," layla shrugged, "i'm not the best at archery though- more of a music lean."

cadie nodded, before frowning, "anger?"

"lotta shit annoys me," shrugged layla, "had to move to malibu a few years ago, remember i said that when i first arrived?"

"oh yeah, used to live in georgia, right?" cadie spoke, "...was it nice there? in georgia?"

"yeah," shrugged layla, "i mean- used to love malibu too. thought it was the shit for a long time. but uh- got bored of it, i guess? it's why i spend most of my time at camp. that, and if i went back- mom would make me get a job." she let out a little groan, shaking her head vigorously, "and i am not suite for a job, lemme tell you that."

"i can tell," cadie teased, trying to lighten the heavy mood, "i mean- you're a very free spirit, aren't you layla?"

"that i am, diaz," grinned layla, "that i am." she paused for a moment, "you know- i think i might go back this summer."

"you will?" cadie said, surprised, "i thought-"

"well, wondering if you wanted to come for a few days," layla added, giving her a quick side hug as they sat on the bench, watching their cabin mates fire arrows and yell in success, "you're like my sister- even if you're not a daughter of apollo. might as well be- we treat you like one. and...i think my mom will love you. my step-dad would too. mom makes home-made kimchi too."

"seriously?" cadie gasped, eyes wide, "dude. i'm asking chiron if i can call my dad- i'm making him say yes to me going."

layla laughed heartily, ruffling her hair before running a hand through her own, "might dye my hair again too."

"what's with you and dying your hair constantly?" snorted cadie, "are we calling this a coping mechanism?"

"hey- you have humour, i have hair dye."

"you're gonna have fucked up hair." cadie pointed out.

"and you have a fucked up sense of humour- continue?"

cadie gasped, staring at layla in shock. she shoved her slightly, causing layla to fall of the bench- the two filling the near vicinity with laughter as layla got up, dusting dirt off herself before she said with a mischievous grin, "you're so in for it now!"