22

MARIAH

"I'm sorry I've been distant I told Ashti and Amber as they stepped over the threshold and into my apartment, a bottle of wine in Ashti's hand.

"You don't need to apologize at all. You needed time to process everything," Amber told me with a sympathetic smile, giving me a small hug before I moved to the living room to introduce them to Myles.

Deciding to surround myself with friends was the best thing I could do at this point as I still tried to get a grasp on what was going on between Valentino and I. As much as I craved to be near him, I still had so many reservations. I didn't know if I could handle being with a guy whose life was always on the line.

"You're the one who designs all of Mariah's clothes," Ashti exclaimed as I introduced her to Myles, both of them giving each other huge hugs. "You are so talented."

"And you are so gorgeous," he replied, motioning to her whole body.

We all sat on the couches together, sipping the wine and munching on the snacks I laid out as I let my friends get to know each other. I knew the dreaded conversation about Valentino would soon follow.

"So when was the last time ya'll talked?" Amber inquired, pouring herself yet another glass of wine.

"Almost a week ago when I met him in person. I told him that I needed time to think it through," I admitted, avoiding Myles because I could practically read his mind from across the room before he opened his mouth to speak.

"Did you tell him the real reason you were so bothered?" He inquired, causing Ashti to gasp as Amber set down her glass.

My breath hitched in my throat at his words, the feeling of tears rising in my eyes making me want to scream. Instead, I explained the entire reasoning to Ashti and Amber, glad that they seemed to completely understand.

"Mariah, you know I've known Valentino for years. If he was a bad guy, I wouldn't be here encouraging you two to get along again...I know he would never put you in danger or hurt you intentionally. He's a...complicated person, but he's a good person," Ashti told me, taking my hands in hers as she told me this. "I think you need to tell him what you just told us because he'll understand. And I think you need to listen to him as well so you understand where he's coming from."

I nodded my head in agreement, taking in each and every word she said. She was right. We weren't going to get anywhere if we both didn't speak about our feelings or why we were who we were—we had to communicate.

"You're going over there right now!" Amber declared, her mouth full of the chips I had put out for us.

"But ya'll just got here!"

"And? We want to see you and Valentino get along again. You were so cute!" Myles exclaimed. "Come on, we'll help you get ready."

After I took a quick shower, they each worked on perfecting a different aspect of my appearance for when I went to see Valentino. Amber was working on straightening and then curling my hair while Ashti did my makeup and Myles worked on my outfit and jewelry.

When they were done, I honestly looked so good. Myles had put me into a black lace, corset top that was really sexy as it slightly pushed my boobs up. Ashti kept my makeup light because she claimed that it would be sentimental moment—whatever that meant. Amber left my hair looking perfect, with voluminous curls that framed my face.

"You got this, girl!" Ashti encouraged me as they all stood in my doorway while I was outside in the hallway.

I got this.

***

"Hi Charles," I greeted his doorman as I walked into the lobby of the building, clutching my jacket closed since I didn't want to give this guy an unwarranted view of my cleavage. "Do you know if Valentino's here?"

"He is, would you like me to buzz you up?" He questioned as he reached for the phone, pausing when I yelled for him to stop.

"Can you just tell him he has a delivery and you're bringing it up. I want to surprise him," I said, hoping he couldn't see through my lies. Valentino definitely didn't tell him about our falling out, so I figured he would have no reason to doubt what I was saying.

After speaking to him shortly on the phone, he motioned for me to go upstairs. In the elevator, I took a bunch of deep breaths in and out as I tried to think about what I would even say. I had nothing. I was a nervous wreck as I thought about having to share such a vulnerable part of myself with him.

The elevator doors opened to reveal Valentino standing in front of me, his back turned to me as he seemingly read something in his hands.

"Thank you Char-," he stopped what he was saying when his eyes landed on me, his eyes widening in shock.

"Can we talk?" I asked, a soft small on my face that seemingly made his eyes light up.

"Of course."