Chapter twenty-seven - Dethroned

Dream pulled away from George and looked at the crowd. They were all waiting for something to happen. Dream squeezed George's hand and tilted his head toward the congregation, "Tell them, George."

George looked at him confused, "Tell them what?"

"About your father."

George let go of Dream's hand, "What? No, why would I do that?"

"George, right now the people are on your side, They'll listen to you. It's about time they learnt the truth about their King."

"Dream, I can't do that," George stated strongly.

"Why not?" Dream demanded.

"He's my father! I can't go around spreading slander about him!" George raised his voice.

Wilbur gave them a questioning look. "Trouble in paradise?"

Dream looked over at George, who refused to make eye contact. "Wilbur, can you entertain the crowd for a little bit, I need to talk to George. Alone."

"Sure, I'll make a speech about the great void."

George groaned, but let Dream drag him off to one of the small back rooms behind the stage. Dream shut the door behind them. "George, come on!"

George briefly glanced at Dream but quickly looked away. "I'm not going to do it, Dream! So drop it!"

"Why? Your father has done nothing but hate and hurt you. So, why are you protecting him? Do you want him to continue beating you?" Dream leads his back against the door.

"Of course not! But just because he's a horrible father, doesn't mean he's a bad king."

Dream sighed, "But he is George. Didn't you see how he treated this war? He forced me into the front lines every day and never gave me a rest! He was trying to kill me! Your father doesn't care about his people, all he cares about is himself. Why can't you see that George?"

"..." George stared at his shoes.

Dream's voice softened, "George, look at me."

George shook his head.

"George." Dream took a step closer to the smaller boy. "George, please."

George backed away into the corner and curled into a little ball.

Dream was getting a little annoyed at the Prince's actions, "George, just talk to me. At least let me understand your point of view."

George started rocking himself back and forth. All the memories of the last two weeks flooding back to him. His father whipping him every single day, for hours at end. Demanded he marries Quackity. But George refused and endured the whippings. He couldn't and wouldn't betray Dream like that. So he took each beating head-on. He remembered laying on the floor with his father hovering over him, his back was bleeding heavily and he could barely make out what his father was saying, 'You will never amount to anything, you are useless and weak. Your only purpose is to wed, and yet you refuse. So I will show you just how powerful I am. Just remember this is what you deserve.' George then had passed out. The next day he received the worst news of his life, the news of Dream's passing. He was devastated and knew there was no longer a point in refusing his father's wishes. George no longer cared what happened to him. The only thing that kept him going was gone. He was all out of hope.

George was so lost in his own thoughts, that he didn't notice Dream gentle shaking him, trying to get his attention. "George? George are you okay? Please talk to me..." Dream was growing concerned. George wasn't responding and it looked like he wasn't even here, he was a lifeless body. Dream grabbed George's face and smashed their lips together.

George instantly broke out of his trance and pulled away, "Wha-what was that for?"

Dream rolled his eyes. "You scared me, George! You weren't responding to me."

"Oh, did you ask me something?" George didn't remember Dream saying anything.

Dream sighed, "George, are you feeling alright?" He rested his hand on George's knee, rubbing gentle circles with his thumb.

"I-" George sighed as well and lead his head on Dream's shoulder. "I'm scared Dream... What if... What if the people don't listen to me? What if they stay loyal to my father... My father... He would beat me even more. But that's not the thing that scares me the most. What if he hurt you? I- I couldn't handle that."

"Georgie, I know I've let you down a lot. I haven't been there to protect you. I haven't been there when you needed me most. And I'm truly sorry for that. But this time I promise to stay by your side and protect you. And we won't be alone, Sapnap, Bad, Wilbur, Karl and even Quackity are on our side. We have two of the most powerful Kings on our side! So even if the people don't listen to us, I think we'll be okay. But trust me, George, the people will listen." Dream stood up and extended his hand to George, "Do you trust me?"

"I trust my Dream." George took his hand and Dream pulled him up.

Dream blushed, "Then let's tell the people the truth."

They exited the room hand in hand and walked back onto the stage. Wilbur was in the middle of talking about sacrificing souls or something. Dream tapped him on the shoulder, "Mind if we interrupt?"

Wilber smiled, "Go right ahead."

Dram turned to George, "Are you ready?"

George nodded, "Ready as I'll ever be." He sucked in a breath. "Just keep me safe, okay, Dream."

Dream squeezed his hand, "Always."

George turned to the crowd with nervous eyes, "Hello everyone." Only about half the crowd looked at him.

"Speak louder George, let your voice carry." Dream instructed.

George took a deep breath and turned again. "Hello everyone!" This immediately caught everyone's attention. "First I want to say thank you for coming to my wedding, sorry it didn't turn out the way you thought. And umm..." George looked over at Dream. Dream was giving him a supportive smile and motioned for him to continue. "And I have a confession to make. I never wanted to marry Quackity, and when I refused to my father decided to force me. He's been b-beating me for the last two weeks." George lifted his shirt and showed the crowd his back.

Dream's eye widened, it looked 100% times worse than the last time he saw it. His back was covered in huge, white, nasty, scars. Most of them looking very fresh. "George." Dream's heart broke.

"He also tried to get Dream killed on the battlefield. He was trying to kill one of his own soldiers!"

The King couldn't stand there anymore and listen to this, "How dare you accuse me!? You probably cut yourself, because you're depressed or some shit. I have never laid a finger on you! And of course, I sent Dream to war, He's a soldier! There's always a chance he'll die!"

Quackity smirked, "Actually, everything the Prince said was true. Your King is shit."

The King turned and throw a punch at Quackity, Wilbur quickly intercepted it. "I don't think you should do that," Wilbur advised. "Unless you want your kingdom to hate you even more."

George spoke up once more, "The reason I told you all this is because I want to ask you a question, Who do you want as your King? Me or my father? I promise to be nothing but gracious. And to show kindness to all of you. And if I was king, I would like to form an alliance with King Karl and King Quackity. If they'd be okay with that."

Karl beamed, "Of course! With you as King!"

George smiled, "And if I was King, I could marry whom I please. Which means, me and Dream could genuinely be together."

Quackity chimed in, "You guys have to vote for Gogy! Dethrone the King!"

George looked at the all people, "It's up to you guys!"

Quackity started chanting, "Gogy, Gogy, Gogy!" and soon the whole room was shouting it.

George turned to Dream with happy tears in his eyes. "Dream, we did it."

Dream grinned, "You did it."