Chapter 3

Dipper

We didn't really do much in the forest. All we did was climb rocks and trees and sort of talk, but usually it was awkward silence. Eleanor was strangely quiet and kept punching Mabel in the arm every time Mabel tried to talk to me. I didn't know why, and couldn't figure it out.

Maybe it's, because of what ever they secretly talked about back there? I wondered.

A little while later we exited the forest and Eleanor waved good bye. Before I could leave she grabbed me and pulled me aside. I yelped in surprise. This girl was defiantly different.

"Look," she said. ", I don't like it when friends keep secrets and I know you are unnecessary keeping one." She said sternly.

I swallowed. God I am a terrible liar. I scolded myself. "W-wha-"

"So what is it, what's this big secret?" She questioned me.

I glanced quickly down at my journal. I couldn't tell her. Not her! Not now! "It's nothing important." I responded with a firm answer.

Eleanor gave me a very annoyed and angered look. "Fine. Bye." She let go and ran off.

I waved. "Bye..." I said still confused. I walked back around to the shack and went inside.

Mabel waited knowingly inside. "Sooo." She started. "How did it go?"

I pushed her aside. "Stop prying Mabel."

"I come on, what happened?" She said, practically begging for answers.

"You wanna know what happened, she interrogated me about my journal and what was our secrets 'cause guess what?! I'm a terrible liar!" I shouted my frustration out.

Mabel blinked in shock. "Oh."

I clenched my jaw. "So, what did you expect to be the outcome of that?"

Mabel pursed her lips. "Nothing really." She said.

I rolled my eyes and set my chin on my hand. "We are a family of born, terrible, liars." I muttered.

Mabel nodded. "That's pretty much right."

I frowned and took out my journal to gaze at the cover.

Mabel came up and sat beside me. "Do you think she'll come back tomorrow?" She asked me.

I shrugged. "Most likely, she's new in town so she doesn't have any friends at the moment besides us, I guess."

Mabel huffed. "Come on Dip, she's really nice and is a good friend, give her a chance." Mabel instructed me.

I looked up at Mabel who had a half smile on her face.

I let out a long sigh. "I guess I can give her one more shot."