Chapter 34

Olivia

"Sooo," I started, taking a seat gently next to Cassie on the sofa. She was cradling a sleeping baby Gray in her arms. He puckered his little pink lips as he slept peacefully. "How was your first night with Gray home?"

Cassie smiled as she gently stroked the top of his head with her pointer finger. He'd grown a head full of wavey, dark brown hair just like Russ's.

"I slept for a total of two hours." She laughed, glancing up at me with a sarcastic grin. "He wanted to eat every hour last night...but I'd take that over having him being in that damn hospital." Cassie scoffed, shaking her head. "I couldn't sleep the entire month he had to stay there anyway."

Grayson let out a tiny yawn before relaxing back into his mother's arms and continuing his slumber. Both Cassie and I giggled softly at his cuteness.

"I'm happy everything ended well Cass, he's the most perfect little boy, and you're doing so great. It's like you were made to be his mom."

"Thank you, babes." She smiled. Do you want to hold him? She asked, laughing as my eyes widened.

Yesterday when Grayson came home, I was way too nervous about holding him. He was so tiny, tinier than most newborns, and I felt like the slightest wrong move would hurt him. Even Jason couldn't convince me after holding Grayson himself. Jason was good with babies. He had experience caring for his little sister. I, on the other hand, couldn't remember the last time I held a baby.

"Olivia, seriously, he's your godson! You're going to have to get over yourself sooner or later. You won't break him, I promise." She smiled, bouncing him in her arms. "Jason did fantastic with him, and I'm sure you will too."

Cassie gently shifted Grayson into my arms, giggled as I tensed up when he squirmed around. "Just relax. You've got him, babes."

"I'm so scared." I giggled nervously, adjusting him carefully in my arms. He let out a soft cry, startling me, but Cassie just popped his pacifier into his mouth, silencing him instantly.

"See, he's fine. You're doing so good."

Grayson stared up at me, sucking gently on his pacifier as he seemed to take in the face of the person who was holding him.

"Hi." I cooed, bouncing him in my arms. "I'm your God momma." I smiled, tracing my finger against his tiny hand.

"He's so comfortable with you." Cassie cheesed, resting her head on my shoulder.

"You think so?"

Cassie nodded, pressing a kiss to Grayson's head. "I do. He's so alert with you too. He really loves your face." She laughed, watching how he stared up at me in awe.

"Well, I mean, I am pretty good-looking." I teased.

Cassie fanned me off, taking Grayson back into her arms and resting him against her chest.

"So what time are you and Jason leaving today? Are you nervous?" She asked, shooting me a small smile.

Jason and I were traveling back to my hometown in the evening to celebrate my dad's birthday. This will be the first time Jason is meeting them in person, although they've seen each other over facetime various times. It was kind of nerve-wracking because the last time I brought a man home, my parents despised him, and for good reason. I had to keep telling myself that Jason was different and things would go much better this time.

"Not too long after he gets off shift...I'm a little nervous." I admitted, folding my arms across my chest. "I know my parents already like him, but having everyone meet in person is a whole different thing."