Chapter 29

Olivia

Two very long days had gone by since the last time Jason and I spoke. I hadn't said a word to him since slamming the door in his face the night we got into the argument over his flirtatious behavior with Mariana. That wasn't to say that he hadn't attempted to reach out to me because he did, several times.

He called and texted and even came to knock on the door only to get sent away by Cassie, who reluctantly did so. She wanted us to talk, but she wasn't going to try and force me. I needed to speak with him on my own time when I'm more calm and willing to listen because right now, it would end in another explosion.

He got the message that I didn't want to talk after trying for a day and a half because I hadn't heard anything from him since he sent a text before leaving for work this morning.

Hey sweetheart. As much as I miss you and want to talk to you, I won't bother you anymore until you're ready to see me. I know I messed up, and I'm sorry that my actions caused you to feel embarrassed or like I have eyes for anyone but you. With everything in me, I'm sorry. You are my other half, my better half. I love you, and I hope you're doing okay.

I couldn't stop reading that message over and over again. It brought tears to my eyes every time, but I was back to being angry with him within moments. Of course, he was telling me all these sweet things after the fact, but he behaved in a way that said something completely different.

He could tell me he loved me and that I was his other half all day, and it wouldn't change what I saw at Cassie's party. It wouldn't change the fact that he was flirting with another woman and letting her touch all over him...and smiling while doing it. It wouldn't change that he never thought to bring me up once while staying after work to "train" her, as he claimed. It wouldn't change the embarrassment that I felt as she laughed and winked at him as she walked away when she realized we were dating.

Before I could reply, those were the memories that crossed my mind and stopped me every time. I wasn't in the mood to get hurt again. I received enough heartbreak to last me a lifetime last year. I need to be happy for once, and if that meant adding some space between Jason and I, then that's what I was going to have to do. I wouldn't allow myself to be the pushover I used to be ever again. It literally almost cost me my life.

"Hey, Liv?" Cassie called out, walking into the living room. She struggled to button her jeans as her belly seemed to protrude more and more by the day. "Do you have any sweats or something that I can borrow...I guess I'm getting to the point of pregnancy where maternity clothes are going to be necessary."

"Yeah, let me grab you a pair. We'll pick some up for you today while we're shopping for the baby."

"I'm dreading it. Maternity clothes are so...bleh." She grimaced, shaking her head.

"No, they make more trendy options now!" I laughed before going into my closet and tossing her a pair of navy sweats.

Cassie caught them with ease and gave me a slight grin. "I guess we'll have to see. I'm looking forward to all the little onesies we're going to pick out."

"Oh gosh, me too. I remember the days we'd walk past baby clothes cooing over them, and now we get to actually buy some."

"I know!" Cassie cheered, slipping into the sweats. "So, have you talked to Jason yet, babes?"

"No," I stated softly, lowering my gaze to the floor. "I don't want to talk to him yet."

"Babes...it's been two days," Cassie stressed, holding up two fingers. "I don't think playing the silent game is going to solve any of your problems with him."