Soulmates - Part 1

~ Soulmate AU, where you can only see in black and white until you meet your soulmate. Based on that trend that was popular on TikTok like a little bit ago. xoxo ~

Finally, you think as you stand in the elevator, bouncing on the edge of your toes. Today was the first day you would be working at the BAU after trying to get transferred here for years.

You didn't understand why because despite your disadvantages, you were a smarter and better agent than people who had been in the FBI twice as long as you had. But because you couldn't see colors yet, apparently you weren't cut out for fieldwork.

They kept making some bogus claim that seeing colors was essential, but you knew that wasn't true. You did your research and it turns out that the Unit Chief of the BAU couldn't see colors yet either. When you brought this up to your supervisor, he had to admit that you were right.

The elevator chimes, and the doors slide open. In walks a rather lanky-looking dude with a fluffy mop of hair on his head. He stands beside you and the doors slide back closed. The two of you stand in silence for a moment before he says something.

"You're here for the BAU aren't you?" he asks as he looks over at you.

"Uh, yeah, yes I am," you respond nervously, "How did you know that?"

"My name is Dr. Spencer Reid, I am a part of the BAU. When we heard we were getting a new team member, our technical analyst looked you up." You give him a weird look, not sure if you should be concerned that with a few taps on a keyboard these people probably knew everything about you.

"I didn't know that the BAU had a technical analyst," you say.

"We do, her name is Penelope Garcia, you're going to love her," he responds excitedly. The doors slide open again and the two of you walk out of the elevator together.

"Here she is now," Reid says as you walk through the glass doors and see a perky woman with a bright smile flying towards you.

"Oh my gosh hi, hello, you're (Y/N)," the woman, who you assume is Penelope, says as she throws her arms around you in a hug. "I am so glad you are here, you're like crazy smart. Maybe even smarter than our resident genius over here."

"I have an IQ of 187, can read 20,000 words per minute, and have an eidetic memory," Reid says, and you can hear the slight offense in his voice. You laugh a little to yourself already sure that you are going to love it here. Garcia rolls her eyes at him and grabs your arm.

"Come on, I would love to introduce you to everybody, but you have to meet Prentiss first," she drags you behind her as she walks through the room.

"Emily Prentiss, she's the Unit Chief right?" Garcia stops walking and looks at you with a smile.

"Well, it looks like I'm not the only one who did my research."

"It's not like that," you assure her, "None of my previous supervisors would let me go in the field because I can't see colors yet..."

"And you used Prentiss as your leverage so they would let you in," Garcia says with a smirk, "that is so smart. I already like you." You laugh again before the two of you keep walking.

You walk up a short set of steps and towards a door, where Garcia knocks.

"Come in," you hear from inside of the room, and with an excited smile, Garcia swings the door open and strolls in, once again dragging you behind her.

But when you step into the room, you are frozen in your place, as your vision starts to morph. The blacks and greys are slowly replaced by colors you could never have imagined. It takes you a second of blinking to get used to it. Once you do, you lock eyes with the woman sitting behind the desk, and it finally clicks what all of this means.

"Shit."

Emily's POV

"Shit." I hear as the door opens. I lift my head and I swear my heart stopped.

My world had been made up of the different shades of black grey and white for my entire life now, and I was starting to think that was how it would always be. I mean I had found somebody I was going to settle down with, even if he wasn't my soulmate. But now all of that has changed.

"Wait, Oh my gosh," I hear Garcia say, but my eyes are still locked on the woman standing in front of me.

"You two are-" Garcia continues but I cut her off as I pick up some papers off of my desk.

"Garcia, can you take these files over to JJ, I need her to review them." Garcia gives me a pointed look, before slowly taking the files out of my hands. She glances between me and (Y/N) a few more times before rushing out of the door. I sigh because I know that the entire team will know that the new girl is my soulmate before the end of the day.

"Please sit down," I say to (Y/N).

She moves and sits in the chair I have placed on the other side of my desk, and the two of us sit there in awkward silence. In all of the years that I have had to deal with serial killers and psychopaths, I have never been more nervous than I am right now.

"So..." she says, finally breaking the silence, "We are soulmates."

"Yeah, it looks like we are," I respond. "Look, I don't know how to say this, but I am already in a relationship with a man that I love."

"Oh," she says, and I can hear a bit of disappointment in her voice. But she quickly covers and smiles at me. "Well soulmates don't have to be romantic, there can be platonic soulmates. We can just be friends."

"Ok, good," I say as I breathe a breath of relief. "Now that that is settled, welcome to the BAU!"

- - - - - - - - - - -

(Y/N) is very smart and already knows almost everything she is supposed to, so the debrief was short. As we walk out of my office and show her to her new desk, almost every eye is on us, not just because she is the "newbie".

Garcia really works fast, I think to myself.

"Emily," I hear as I am walking back to my office. I turn my head to see Rossi walking towards me.

"Rossi, what do you need?" I ask. But he just places his hand on my back and together we move to my office. I walk in as he closes the door behind me.

"So," he starts to say as he gives me an all-knowing look. "I see you've finally found your soulmate." I shake my head and run a hand through my hair.

"Garcia told you?"

"Yes," he responds, "But she didn't have to. I could tell the second you two walked into the bullpen." I roll my eyes at him.

"Hey," he says, "when you've been married as many times as I have, to people who aren't your soulmate, you learn a thing or two."

"Soulmates can be platonic," I say. He narrows his eyes and I can tell he is analyzing me.

"Why does it seem like you don't want her to be your soulmate?" he asks.

"Rossi, you know that I am in a very happy, loving relationship with Andrew," I respond as I cross my arms over my chest.

"And that's the only reason you won't even consider treating (Y/N) as your soulmate?"

"Of course it is." He sighs as he turns and starts moving towards the door, but before he walks out he turns back around to me.

"I'm inviting everybody over to my place tonight," I start to interject, but he holds his hand up to stop me. "Just get to know her, and we can see if you change your mind about this whole soulmate ordeal."

"You're not going to let this go are you?" I ask, and he just laughs as he walks out of the door.