Chapter Twenty Eight - In the Sands of the Henge

The Saturday morning dawned cool and there was a touch of autumn mist in the air as Carodoc and I jogged gently round the quad. As ever, we made our way up to the gatehouse platform and I reached out to Psion.

"Good morning, Young Mistress!" he greeted me. "I hope you are well rested."

"Yes, thank you. That final session last night left me too tired to stay awake worrying!"

"I had rather hoped that would be the consequence," he responded with a smile.

"Now I do not intend to say anything about the fight this morning because I believe you already know everything you need to prevail. I did, however, wish to let you know what you should expect before the fight commences.

"Firstly Rhiannas: I do not know whether he will attend. If he does, it will be as an impartial observer. As you are a servant, he will not be able to publicly acknowledge his support for you. You should not allow that to concern you, however, as the loan of that sword clearly indicates where his allegiance lies.

"Carodoc will fly you up to the Edifice and, if I know Zalibar, he will happen to fly up at the same time to ensure no foul play.

"Only you and Kiernonda may cross the stones into the Henge and the stones themselves prevent any form of external interference. Zalibar will ask the two of you if you're ready and, if he receives no reply, he will begin the duel with the command 'Lath'.

"Remember to let him come at you. He will underestimate you. Use his own impatience and frustration against him and, if all else fails, try something wild and extravagant. It might not do any good but at least it will give people something to remember you by!"

He was silent for a few moments, allowing me time to think about this then asked, "Have you any final questions?"

"Will you be there?" I asked. I suddenly felt very alone and frightened.

"Though I am unable to attend in person, you know you have my blessings and good wishes. I should be able to pick up enough from the spectators to know how the duel is progressing."

He went quiet for a moment then said in a measured, formal voice, "Do not, for an instant, forget whose daughter you are. Hold tight to that and I am certain you will prevail."

Then he was gone.

I stood for a moment longer, staring out to sea and thinking about my mother and the duel ahead. Then I turned to Carodoc. "Come on," I said. "Let's go and get some breakfast."

There was already a small spectator ring wheeling around the Henge as Carodoc brought me into the Edifice on one of the nags. As Psion had guessed, Zalibar was following us. He was far enough away for it to be clear that we were traveling separately, but close enough to stop anyone from causing us trouble.

"Kiernonda's not here yet," Carodoc said as we landed just outside the Rhian gate, "but he'll be here soon. He's not going to risk being late." We started to run through my final checks.

Soon Kiernonda and Quaro-Deryn appeared. They glided down towards us, accompanied by Quaroclethyfur and Kiernon, Kiernonda's father.

"No Quaronas," I observed.

"Of course not. Quaro can't be seen to be showing any interest in a personal honour duel between a couple of Zalibar's students. To be honest, it's stretching things for Quaroclethyfur to be here."

Kiernonda and Quaro-Deryn landed just outside the Quaro gate and they, too, started their final checks.

I was carefully rechecking the edge of Rhian-Ceridwen's blade with a sharpening stone when there was a disturbance above us. "We've got an extra impartial observer," Carodoc said.