Chapter Nineteen - Going Solo

As I hurried back across the quad to Lippit, Zalibar was giving me a bit of a funny look. "Okay," he said, "put your spurs on and mount up."

But when I moved to climb up Lippit's side, he gave a laugh.

"I forget!" he said. "You've only ever ridden a noble dragon before. With nags, you make 'em lie down in the dirt for you. It's easier for you and it's a handy little reminder for them of who's boss."

Obeying my commands, the creature lowered itself onto its short front legs and lay down in the sand. I climbed up onto his shoulders then grabbed hold of a pair of crenels.

"Stop!" Zalibar barked. "That is the last time I'm going to see your hands on a dragon's crenels. On the back of a dragon, your hands are for one thing and one thing only: combat. Feet and knees are the only things that ever touch the dragon. Now try again. If you really need to, you can use your will to steady yourself."

So, using a touch of will to balance, I reached my leg over the nag's neck and sat down.

"I won't tell you again!" Zalibar shouted, a blast of rage exploding out of his mind. "Only feet and knees! You don't sit on a dragon; you stand. Get your backside in the air."

So I raised myself up onto my spurs, until I was in a position mid-way between kneeling and standing and, as soon as I did, it was obvious why. As my weight caught, the spurs bit more firmly into the scales and I felt much more secure.

A rare smile flashed across Zalibar's ugly face. He must have been reading my mind. "I wish everyone got it that quick," he said quietly, almost to himself. "Some never do. As soon as my back's turned they're sitting again. I might as well just feed them to a dragon myself.

"Okay," he said, "it looks to me like you're ready."

"I'm going to take him up for you. Then I want you to bring him round in a couple of loops and then come on back in again. Don't let him get too far away or I won't be able to sort things out when you make a pig's ear of it. Everything clear?"

I nodded nervously.

"Before you go..."

He put two fingers in his mouth and gave a staggeringly loud whistle. All eyes turned towards him. "Everyone on the ground!" he called. "Clear the quad!" We waited until two dragons had been landed and everyone had hurried to the walls.

"Okay, off we go." I felt Zalibar's will wrap around the nag and I sank into the creature's mind as he prepared for flight.

Lippit took three short steps and then, with his wings' first, all powerful surge, his feet left the ground. The next eight wing strokes took us up above the top of the house then the nag relaxed and spread his wings out into a comfortable glide.

"You set?" I heard Zalibar's voice in my head.

I gave a bit of a mental nod. I mean... the idea of taking control was exciting but a bit worrying.

"Okay! He's all yours," Zalibar said as he released his grip.

And I was flying solo.

'We're sinking!' I thought. 'Quick, flap the wings!'

Three strokes and we were already too high and climbing hard. I eased off for a moment, waiting until I felt him sinking.

"Swing him round!" I heard Zalibar shout in my mind. I looked up and realised that I was out of the compound and heading towards the sea. I jumped to do as I was told but I was concentrating so hard on pulling the dragon round that I almost lost my own balance. My hands were grabbing out for the crenels before I remembered I had to use my will to balance myself.