Chapter Seven - The Storm

Over the next couple of days, the idea of going to the island just kept growing in my mind and I spent all my spare time down by the harbour, spying on the old fishermen. And, on the last afternoon, I'd gone back into his cloud and got him to leave the boat full of diesel and the key in the lock. I mean... it was by far the trickiest cloud thing I'd ever done... he really didn't want to do it... but, in the end, I'd managed to persuade him.

Then, after dinner, I told Megan. "I'm off to the island tonight."

She stared at me for a bit then said, "You're serious, aren't you?"

"Tonight's the night," I told her with a nod. "There's a full moon and it's as flat as a pancake out there."

"But how're you going to do it?

So I explained about my plans to borrow the boat.

Megan thought about this, hardly believing what I was suggesting. But at last she said, "I'm coming too."

I should have known she'd never want to be left behind on an adventure like this.

Just after midnight, I flipped into the cloud world and felt out. There was Droopy with the funny pulsing wave pattern that I now knew was sleep... then Mrs Andrews... and her husband... and the rest of the girls.

"Everyone's asleep," I told Megan. "You're really sure you want to come? It could be dangerous." For some reason, I didn't like the idea of her coming with me.

She thought about it for a few seconds then nodded.

So, touching my mother's white leather bracelet for luck, I slipped to the window and, holding my breath, I eased it open. I was pleased that I'd spent so much time that morning scraping away the rust and paint. It opened without a sound.

After checking that the lane was empty, I stepped over the balcony rail. Then I reached across and down with a foot until I found the flat roof of the entrance porch and stepped down onto it. Once I was steady, I hissed to Megan to follow.

The next bit was going to be the trickiest. I had to get down onto the dining room window sill. There was some sort of ventilation pipe sticking out from the wall but it looked pretty flimsy so I just grabbed the balcony railing and lowered myself down.

Megan tried to do the same but she was too heavy and had to rest a foot on the pipe. It gave a horrible creak so, without really thinking, I grabbed her round the waist and lowered her down.

"Sorry about the noise there," she murmured.

But I didn't reply... I was already back in the cloud world and checking round the hostel. "Everyone's still asleep," I whispered as I eased myself down to the ground.

"How are we going to get back in?" Megan asked as she climbed down.

"We'll sort something out," I answered. By now, the pull of the island was completely filling my head and I couldn't think of anything else. So I set off down through the silent village with Megan trailing on behind.

The moon was full and, when we reached the harbour, we could see that the boat had risen on the tide. I stepped easily down onto it and went into the little cabin. But Megan stayed on the harbour wall. I guess she was starting to have second thoughts... and I suppose she was right, really. I mean... this was pretty wild, even for me.

But I just kept on getting the boat ready as if I did this every day. I'd watched the fisherman guy enough times so I could copy what he did. "Heater coil on..." I chanted like a prayer or something... "wait a few seconds... ignition on."

The engine sounded terribly loud in the sleeping village. Megan flinched but I didn't care. I was on my way now and, even if somebody woke up, it was too late for them to stop me.