Chapter Thirteen - On Matters Cerebral

I went round to the edge of the copse and sat there, eating my pie whilst enjoying the view out over the village and down to the sea. It looked like I'd got myself a servant... not a tremendously powerful servant... and his table manners left an awful lot to be desired... but, still, a servant.'

It was easy to tell when Psion was done eating. The waves of ecstasy rolling out of the wood were replaced by this gentle buzz of contentment. I strolled back to see that every bone and bit of skin had been devoured, leaving nothing but a nasty stain on the ground.

"It looks like you enjoyed that."

"I have enjoyed fine banquets much less," he replied. "Indeed," his eyes and mind went all dreamy, "I can't, offhand, think of a fine banquet I enjoyed more. On the whole, the politics and backstabbing are generally more significant at fine banquets than is the delectation of delicious delicacies. A simple meal with friends is generally much to be preferred. That repast was an unalloyed pleasure. Thank you, Young Mistress."

Then he paused for a moment. "Incidentally, is my use of the title 'Young Mistress' acceptable?" he added, at last. "You don't find the term overly familiar?"

"I'd love you to call me that," I answered. "It's a little reminder to us both of my mother."

"Anyway," I went on, "you were about to tell me how to break free of this horrible thing in my head."

"Ah yes," he said, his tail becoming more agitated as he spoke. "The technique to be employed in removing such an implanted node is not overly complicated but I would advise you most vehemently not to be premature in its use."

"Why on earth not?"

"Because, as soon as Rhiannas sees you, he will observe that you have broken free and he will destroy you utterly."

"I guess you're right," I said with a bit of a sigh. "I'm not ready to deal with him yet. I am going to get him though."

Psion looked at me for a while, his golden eyes boring straight into me, kind of sharing my hurt and frustration. "Have no fear, Young Mistress," he said. "The time for release will come and with it will come retribution. Furthermore, the meticulous timing of said release will make the retribution all the more certain."

"And rest assured," he added in his most formal tone, "when the time comes to face him, you will not stand alone."

"Thank you," I said simply. "That means a lot to me." Psion, I was starting to realise, was much more than the funny little thing I'd thought he was at first. He really might help me to survive.

"Would you tell me how to get rid of it anyway," I asked after a moment's thought. "I'm sure just knowing would help."

"With pleasure. The technique is relatively straightforward. Transition into the cerebral domain and I will demonstrate."

"You what?"

"Transition into the cerebral domain..." he repeated. He looked at me for a moment, slightly puzzled. "You do not understand?"

"I've no idea what you're talking about."

"But you must be cerebrally active or you would currently be exploring the nether regions of Rhiannas's digestive tract."

"Do you mean doing the cloud world thingy?"

"I've never heard it described as such before though the term is apt."

"I'm a bit nervous about doing the full cloud thing. Last time I tried it, I attracted the attention of somebody quite powerful and he wasn't overly happy about it."