~21~ Time to Come Clean

ابدأ من البداية

"Clearly." The three turned to the door frame, where Akil smiled, Nour keeping him steady.

"Oh thank the gods." Sophie breathed, running over and wrapping her arms around him. He laughed as Maha and Alexios joined in.

"You kids have stellar timing, I'll say that. We were about to to..." Akil didn't finish.

"Did they nearly take out the entire branch?" Maha whispered.

Akil's jaw clenched, but he shook his head, "No, but we took really heavy losses. They got damn close." Akil swallowed, closing his eyes, "Chione didn't make it."

The young Assassin flashed in Sophie's mind. Gods, she was younger than Sophie, wasn't she?

"I'm so sorry Akil." Maha whispered was Sophie was at a loss of words.

Nour turned to Sophie, "I'm going to stay in Egypitnat to help recruitment and rebuilding of the Hidden Ones." Sophie knew he wasn't asking.

"Please focus on rebuiliding, we don't need recruits right away." Sophie sighed.

Akil turned to Sophie, "But where have you been?"

Sophie knew it wasn't her fault, it was Kynareth stealing her and Maha right out of the sky, but guilt flooded her. She should've been quicker. Her men needed her. She didn't regret learning what she did, but her guild was on the rocks right now.

Sophie turned to Maha, who swallowed. They both needed to come clean.

"After the council with Arsinoe and we are back at the Hidden One's base we will tell you. It is extremely confidential. Absoutely no one can hear a word." Sophie muttered. Worry clouded their eyes, but they all agreed.

As if on cue, a Medjay came from down the hall.

"They are ready for you."

Alexios and Sophie gave everyone a quick nod before following after the soldier.

~

The tension was so thick you could cut it with a blade. Alexios kept squeezing the handle of his blade, but Amalia caught his glances; he knows she did.

Apprehension was in his eyes.

His sister had been keeping secrets from him. He knew that much. Gods above, he was a Morretti just as much as she was. A Cyevan Assassin just like she was. What gave her the right?

They took the blood bond when they were old enough to make the decision because no matter how much they fight, they agreed to fight back to back—side by side.

So why was she keeping secrets from him?

Alexios fought the anger bubbling up, but it kept snarling up and snapping at him. Where were her priorities? Why wasn't she back sooner? Why didn't she help faster?

He was letting his mind go too far from the truth. He knew it. His sister loved their guild more than anything. Amalia loved their family.

But that didn't mean the secrets she kept didn't scald his pride.

Amalia didn't waste any time pushing open the doors to the great throne room.

It was grand and elaborate, tapestries and banners returned to their rightful place, the land rejoicing in the reign of their Pharoah. Blue, red, white, and yellow worked together to create more than just the ambiance of royalty but also beauty. There was the soft patter of rain outside, but the sun shone through the clouds, the soft drops of water falling from the heavens reflecting the delicate sun beautifully.