My Kind Of Night.

A real gentlemen always picks the lady up.

I wait for a couple of seconds and then put my phone back into the pocket of my jeans. I shouldn't be so easy to get after all. I grab some of the bags and pull them out of the car, carrying them back to the house.
"Where is Mom?" I say and start putting the groceries away. "I thought you guys went together."
My father shakes his head. "I dropped her off at yoga class."
"Ah." I reply and nod.
My pants starts to vibrate and I quickly take out my phone.
The same number.
I didn't know I was meeting a lady.
The muscles of my jar tense, yet I still have to smile. He just can't loose a game.
Apparently, you're not. A lady wouldn't go out with you.
Surprised by my sudden wit, I continue grinning.
"Well, well, well. Who's the lucky guy?" My dad says and raises an eyebrow.
I had forgotten that he stands right next to me.
I wave it off and start making awkward noises. "Ehm. Hm. Nobody."
"Yeah, right." He frowns and starts laughing. "Why don't you bring him over sometime ?"
The sarcastic laugh seems to surprise him.
"Why? Are we that embarrassing?"
"No, you're perfectly fine." I reply and realise it sounds ridiculous. "There is no guy to bring over, Dad."
"Sure?" He asks.
I nod, a bit more determining and he drops it.
Buzz.
But before I look at my phone again, I go upstairs, escaping the questions.
As the door closes behind me, I look at the lit up screen.
Well then thank god, you're not.
Rolling my eyes, I through the phone on my bed. It jumps of and lands on the ground. I growl and fall crash into the sheets.
Why can't he be mature for once?
My hand grabs my phone and starts typing.
I'm busy tonight. Find someone else to play your games with.
I know that it's childish and ridiculous of me to set him up, but somehow I need to feel a certain power, when it's about Downey.
If the power isn't there, I feel so weak, it makes me sick. Like he could crash me any second.
My phone doesn't buzz again, it stays silent for almost three hours. Until Aaron sends me a new shirtless picture of Zac Efron.
He does that almost every two days. Somehow he always finds a new one and I'm not allowed to delete them. On a regular basis, he checks my phone, if I still have the folder, filled with his pictures.
My bed feels so good that I immediately fall asleep after dinner. The whole day has weight on me and it all falls off as my head hits the pillow. My sleep is dreamless, but deep and I enjoy the relaxation.
Going to bed early is a nice change from time to time.
Then something wakes me up. I can't remember what it was, I just open my eyes and rise. Looking around my bedroom, nothing seems unfamiliar. When I lay back down, the sound resounds again and this time I get out of bed and open the door. Nothing. The hallway is empty and dark. Then I hear someone curse and turn around, stepping towards the window. I open the window and the summer air fills my bedroom. As I look into the darkness, I see someone standing on the ground in front of the house, in the middle of my mom's flower garden. Squinting my eyes, I finally manage to realise who is standing there.
"What on earth...?" I mumble and open the window a bit further. "What are you doing here?"
He stumbles slightly, the pebbles fall out of his hand and mumbles something, aggressively.
"Are you alright?" I ask, into the darkness.
"I'm perfectly fine, thank you." He snaps.
"What the fuck are you doing here?" I say.
His head moves upwards and my gaze meets his. "Can't a man just look at a beautiful flower garden by himself without getting interrupted?"
I start to chuckle and remind myself to remain quiet.
"Why did you wake me up?"
He shrugs his shoulders. "I thought that since I'm already here, I could combine it with you."
"You've got to be kidding me!" I hiss. "You show up here, in the middle of the night and can't even be honest about it?"
He sighs and rolls his eyes. "Alright, alright. Calm down."
Defensively, he lifts both of his hands. "I'm here, because I wanted to see you."
I act surprised and mouth an 'oh'.
"What else?"
He frowns. "What?"
"You saw me. What else do you want?"
He groans and runs his fingers through his messy hair.
"Can you please come down for a second? I would like to show you something."
"I'm not dressed." I tell him.
"It's not like there is something I haven't seen before." He grins and I stick out my tongue.
"You're gross."
"Would you please move your perfect ass down here ?"
I roll my eyes and shut the window.
As quickly as I can, I throw on some proper clothes and tiptoe down the stairs, trying to be as quiet as possible. Through the garden door, I make my way outside. The warmth of the day hasn't worn off yet, so the air is still hot as hell.
I see him still standing at the same spot, looking at my window.
Crossing my arms, I wait a couple of steps away from him. "What do you want to show me?"
As his eyes land on me and his lips merge into a smile.
"You look stunning."
"Shut up." I snap and punch him slightly in his stomach, as he steps towards me. "I want to go back to bed, so what is it?"
Suddenly, he grabs my hand and starts walking towards the street. I stumble after him and try not to fall.
We stop in front of his car, which is parked a couple of feet away from the house.
"Get in the car."
His voice is so demanding.
"I want to know where we are going." I reply and I can see that it makes him angry.
"I already told you that I wanted to show you something. Isn't that enough to know?"
"You could murder me." I say.
"Didn't we already discuss that topic?" He asks and raises an eyebrow.
I moan annoyed and get into the car. Hearing him chuckle, my heartbeat starts to skip a beat. Having him near again, does stuff with me, I hate so much.
The engine starts and slowly the car begins to move.
It's 1am in the morning and I'm sitting in my professor's car, not knowing where we are going. My mom did a very good job in raising me.
"How was your day?" Downey says, trying to start a conversation.
"I'm not going to talk to you, until you tell me where we are going." I tell him.
"It's a surprise." He answers, keeping his wild eyes on the road.
We stay in silence for a moment, until he breaks it.
"So, why don't you want to go to prom?"
I sigh. "Really? We're gonna make small talk now?"
"I'm curious." He says and I can hear the smile in the tone if his voice. "Is it because you can't dance?"
"Excuse me! I'm an excellent dancer." I rumble.
He starts to laugh, deep and hearty, exactly like I remember it.
"I'm sorry, for underestimating you so utterly." The sarcasm is undeniable.
"So what's the reason?" He asks again.
I shrug my shoulders. "I actually don't know. I'm just not into waiting for a guy to ask me and pick me up, dancing with someone who doesn't know the steps, drinking spiked punch because we're all so cool and going home, having to sleep with someone because he ordered a limo to get us there. Sorry. Not my kind of night."
Downey doesn't reply, he just moves his hand towards me and intertwines his fingers with mine. The sudden change of atmosphere overwhelms me and I can't help but stay still.
"You're my kind of night."
His voice is not more than a whisper, almost small and the words are gone as quickly as they came.
My throat is dry and I resist the urge to clear it. Not waning to move or change anything about this moment. Capturing the way his hand fits ridiculously perfect into mine and how the lights of the night run past us, as if we are escaping the history of today. And the only thing remaining in my mind are four words.
His kind of night.