Rearview.

The cold airalmost shock freezes my face and possibly all the other parts of mybody. As I open the door of the hotel and step outside, onto thepavement. Nobody is on the street. They're probably all at thiscarnival. I amso cold that only now I realise maybe I should have put on a bra. Iturn my head and squint my eyes, trying to find a figure standing inthe dark. But there is no one there. I even walk further down, stillseeing nothing but darkness and street lights. My head rotates and Icatch a glimpse of a lit up restaurant. Crossing the street, I walktowards it and try to look inside. The windows are all fogged up, soI open the door and a bell resounds. The waitress behind the counterlooks up and smiles. I wave a little and let my eyes wander over thetables and chairs. It's a small diner, less than ten tables standingaround in order and everything is kept in red and silver. My stomachrumbles, as I stare at the cakes, displayed on the counter. But then,I detect someone sitting at the last table, in the corner, backturned towards me. I walk down the aisle, still keeping up with thecakes on the right in the corner of my eye and then, recognising thecoat. Collar up. Almost burying all of his head in it. I carefullyslip into the booth and sit down, across from him.

I stare at himfor a couple of seconds. Observing the way his hands are clenchingthe used coffee cup. He doesn't look at me once, so I clear mythroat. Still, no reaction. His stare is fixated on the liquid in hiscup. I'm afraid to disrupt his thoughts. Maybe, I shouldn't have goneafter him. He just poured his heart out in front of me and heprobably wants some time alone. Just with his thoughts.

My hands are socold, they feel numb as I rub them together.

The waitressappears next to me and asks, if I would like something to drink oreat. I just shake my head, even though I would really like one ofthose cakes. But maybe Downey will get up and just leave, so I'llhave to eat the cake alone. And you really don't want to be thatperson, who sits alone in a diner at half past eleven, eating agigantic chocolate cake all alone. In a foreign city.

I don't evenhave any money on me, I realise. So I just continue to eye the cakesand Downey at the same time. The restaurant doesn't have any musicplaying in the background. So we just sit there in utter silence. Nocar passing by. No people on the street. You could almost think we'rein a movie, because everything feels so dramatic. An Adele song inthe background would be really convenient now. And maybe some tears.But nobody is up for them. Maybe the waitress. She's probably anactress. Most of the waitresses are actresses, so I could give it atr-

"You seemcold." His voice rips me out of my directing dreams and I turn tohim.

"How'd youfigure?" I ask and he points his head towards my chest.

"You're notwearing a bra."

I shake myhead. "You haven't said a word to me, yet you still manage to stareat my breasts. Way to go, Professor."

The sarcasmraises a weak smile. "You're constantly rubbing your handstogether. I was just kidding."

"Yeah, I'mnot sure you were." I reply and narrow my eyes.

"Me neither."

His answermakes me laugh and I catch his glance. He sighs and then raises ahand.

"Can we getanother coffee?" He asks the waitress and then looks at me again."And one of these chocolate cakes."

I can't helpbut grin and he turns towards me again.

"It took me ayear to find out." He starts and I lean back, prepared for what wascoming. "Isn't it odd that all this time, you considered yourself acommitted husband and never forgot a birthday or an anniversary andthen you didn't notice your wife has been cheating on you for over ayear."