Anissa rolled her eyes. "Jason was a good praetor because he's a blond white boy who happens to have the king of the gods as his father. He will never be judged on the same level people like you and I are. You're a good praetor too, Reyna. Trust your judgement before you trust his."

Reyna traced her finger along the edge of the table. "My judgement is telling me peace and cooperation is our best option. But if I'm wrong, all of Rome falls and the world with it. I have no room error."

"Then play both sides until you know more. If it comes to war, it comes to war. At least then you'll know you did everything you could."

"That feels like the easy way out."

Anissa shrugged. "Doesn't mean it's the wrong way."

"Huh."

Anissa perked up. "Hey, did you bring your dogs?"

Reyna set her can down. "You should have seen how excited they were when I told them where we were going."

Anissa was by all standards a cat person, but she loved Reyna's dogs and Reyna's dogs loved her. They stepped outside the apartment, Arum and Argentum pausing their frolicking to say hi.

Anissa grinned as she rubbed Argentum's chin. "I've missed this." She gestured vaguely to the street. "Legion drama, plots, political hostages. You know, the last time we were at war wasn't so long ago."

Arum gently bumped Reyna's hand, his gold eyes blinking up at her. "We're not at war," Reyna said, running her finger's through Arum's metallic fur. "And after everything, I'm very hesitant to declare it."

"Then don't. But make no mistake, Camp Half-blood will think you are. They'll come at you with everything they've got, Reyna. Be sure you're ready."

***

It was strange, sitting at their old table in the mess hall. It'd been so long since Reyna sat anywhere but the praetor's table, and even longer since she sat with her old friends.

"Thank you all for meeting me," Reyna said, already cringing at how formal it sounded. "I figured since Jason's back it was time we all got together."

Gwen smiled at her from across the table. "I think it was a great idea." Gwen, ever the optimist. On her left, Octavian scowled and pushed his macaroni around with his fork. Reyna knew for a fact it was Octavian who stabbed Gwen, but she could never prove it. There wasn't a person who sat with her left untouched by the fighting. Dakota, on Gwen's right seemed the least affected but he'd lost some of the gleam in his eye. For Jason on Reyna's right it was his scar, for Octavian his sanity.

"I did miss you all," Jason said, picking up a hotdog. "Once I got my memory back anyway."

Reyna wrinkled her nose. "You still eat hotdogs?"

"And what about it? They're basically a delicacy."

"If you're a wolf maybe."

Jason shrugged. "Well, I was raised by wolves."

"Speaking of," Gwen said, "have you seen your foster parents yet?"

"Of course." Jason took a sip of his water. "The cafe is doing good, as are they."

Octavian stood abruptly, their plates rattling. "If this is all this meeting is, then-"

"Sit down," Reyna said in her I'm-the-praetor-and-you-will-do-what-I-say voice. She'd perfected it over the last year. Octavian met her state for a moment, before conceding and sitting back down. "Of course this wasn't just a social call," Reyna said, "as long over due as this is. You four are my most trusted advisors, and also my best friends. And despite whatever differences we may have had over the years-" Reyna shot Octavian a glance- "you are all loyal to Rome. Which is why I need each of you to lead a search party for Percy Jackson. With the exception of Jason of course."

Octavian rolled his eyes. "I'm far too important to lead a search party. Leave that to the lesser centurions."

Reyna grit her teeth. "You are a centurion, Octavian. And while I may question many of the decisions you make, I've never doubted your loyalty to Rome. I need people I can trust, and that includes you."

Octavian settled back into his chair. "Okay." Reyna had long since learned how to best manipulate Octavian. He thrived on praise, which was his ultimate downfall. A person like that couldn't be friends with a son of Jupiter for very long.

Gwen set her hands on the table. "Of course we'll do it, Reyna. And we'll only take members of our cohort we trust."

"Thank you. But neither you or Dakota can take Hazel and Frank. They were too close to Percy. In fact, be very careful taking anyone from the fifth cohort. Percy won them over too."

Dakota and Gwen shared a glance. "Will the members of other cohorts even follow us?" Dakota asked. "The fifth is still..." He didn't need to finish the statement. Even with Jason's and Percy's influence, the fifth cohort remained the least respective.

"Oh they will," Jason said. "They won't have a choice in the matter."

Dakota took a swig of Kool-aid. "Fair enough!"

"So we really are going to wipe out the Greeks." Octavian shook his head. "I thought you thought I was crazy, Reyna."

Reyna didn't take the bait. "You are crazy. But you do have the gift of prophecy which isn't nothing. We're doing this for Rome, not out of any desire for bloodshed. Can you say the same?"

"I never wanted bloodshed. I want Rome to be strong. That's all I've ever wanted."

Not all, Reyna thought. But she let it go. "Also, if you find Percy, bring him back alive. If we kill him we're guaranteeing a nasty fight with Camp Half-blood. I don't want that. Understood?"

"Of course," Gwen said. "Besides, he did save New Rome. We owe him something for that."

Jason glanced down at the table. Reyna knew he felt bad for leaving the legion on the brink of war. And was probably embarrassed someone else had to save the legion. But Jason's feelings were no longer her concern.

"Thank you. And for old times sake-" Reyna pulled out a deck of cards- "how about a round of rummy."

Dakota laughed. "Count me in. I'm still undefeated, remember?"

"No you aren't!" Gwen protested, "you just quit whenever you're losing."

"And? It's a good strategy!"

The tension was broken around the table, and Reyna let herself relax. Even Octavian cracked a smile.

Reyna called for a chocolate cake and they played cards late into the night, making up for their time apart.

*Anissa is an oc of mine, she's in my Roman prequels and if I ever finish them you will see more of her!