Favor Por Favor

Beginne am Anfang

"I know," said James in an apologetic manner.

"You offered a homeless man to stay at the Luffdon Abbey. You know you're not the head of the house."

"I know, I know. It's just, he fought in the Great War and now he's out in the cold with no roof over his head. It's not right."

Sybil couldn't hide her annoyance, but she could understand his point. "Okay, what is it you want me to do about it?"

"I'm sorry," said James as he held his head low. "It's just.... you're the kindest person I know and I have no idea what to do."

"James," said Sybil. "Please compose yourself and tell me what is it you want me to do."

"Do you know where I can hide him for the night so he doesn't stay outside in the cold?"

"Where is he?"

"I left him outside in the back. Everyone's sleeping."

Sybil hesitated as she thought about what she should do. She took a step out of her room and closed the door behind her. "You said he's in the back?"

"Yes."

"Alright, first thing I want you to do is go to your room and gather a pillow and blanket for the man." James nodded. "I'll meet the fellow outside. Anything I should know before I go?"

"He's a little drunk. The guys baited him to keep drinking. They were having some fun with him."

Sybil sighed. "Of course they did. Do you believe he could be dangerous."

"Not at all. He can barely stand on his own. He injured his leg during the war."

Sybil's mind went right back to the man she met earlier. It had to be him. "Go get the things. I'll meet you outside."

"Yes ma'am," he said as he hurried off.

Sybil went outside and found the man sitting on the floor with his back to the wall. He hadn't noticed her come out. She approached him slowly and could hear him snoring. She stood over him and recognised him as the man from earlier. He even had his old cane laying over his lap.

"Sir," she whispered. "Sir, please wake up."

His eyes opened and looked up. "Lady Sybil?"

"Are you alright?"

He looked around at his surroundings as if trying to figure out where he was. He returned his sights to Sybil. "Am I dreaming?"

"No you're not mister...." she realised she didn't know his name.

"Rodrigo," he said as he kept eye contact with her. "My name is Rodrigo."

"Can you stand Rodrigo?"

He brought his knees up to his chest and used his cane to push himself up. Sybil offered her hand and helped pull him up. "Thank you," he said as he looked around. "Where am I?"

"Luffdon Abbey."

"How did I get here?"

James rushed outside and went to Sybil and Rodrigo. He was holding a blanket and a pillow. "I've collected the things you told me to." He turned to Rodrigo. "How are you feeling sir?"

"A bit of a headache," answered Rodrigo as he tried to get a good look at James. "I know you?"

"Yes, we met at the pub. Apologies, I believe my friends had a little too much fun with you."

Rodrigo let out a gruff laugh. "I think I had a little too much fun." He turned to look at his surroundings. "What time is it anyways?"

"Late," answered Sybil. "Do you have a place to stay?"