Chapter 3

L'Labi stood in the middle of the forest as he stared up at the trees. He watched as a group of raccoons climbed between the trees. He was so concentrated on the animals as if trying to figure out what they were.

L'Labi directed his wrist towards the raccoon and returned his arm to face himself. An image of the raccoon appeared. He received information about the mammal but specifically that it wasn't the alien animal he was looking for.

L'Labi let out a sigh as he put his head down. He heard something in the distance and turned his head to see a little boy running through the forest. From where he stood, the boy was leaving his line of sight.

L'Labi tried walking into eye sight of the child but kept losing the boy's position. He had his wrist aimed at the child, trying to get a reading at what exactly he was. He lost the boy and his wrist never read what he was looking at.

There was movement from behind. L'Labi was slow to react due to the fact there was nothing on this planet that scared him. He turned and found two lifeforms which resembled a higher intelligence. He assumed these must be the Humans.

"Yo buddy," said Jimmy who was clearly startled to see L'Labi.

Standing next to Jimmy was Russell, who watched L'Labi curiously. "Hello officer. What has you out here in the middle of nowhere?"

L'Labi couldn't understand what they were saying. He looked at his wrist and dialed something. With his technology, he was able to give himself the ability to communicate with the Earthlings.

"Sorry, I missed that," said L'Labi. "What did you say?"

"What has you out here on this fine day officer?" asked Russell.

"I got a call about a sighting of a strange animal," answered L'Labi.

"You guys check on stuff like that?" said Jimmy.

"Clearly things are slow," said Russell as a joke. He turned to L'Labi who had a no nonsense look on his face. "No offence officer."

"None taken," said L'Labi. "Have you two seen any strange looking creatures around?"

"No," said Jimmy and Russell simultaneously.

"Have you seen a child running through here?" asked Jimmy. Russell smacked Jimmy on the arm. "He's my nephew," said Jimmy, trying not to come off suspicious. "He likes to run off on me."

"A child?" repeated L'Labi as he made the connection with what he saw earlier. "Yes, he ran in that direction." L'Labi pointed towards the last place he saw the boy.

"Thank you officer," said Russell, surprised the officer would share this information with them so easily. "We should get going. Frank is probably waiting for us." Russell pulled Jimmy along as they walked away.

"Have a nice day officer," said Jimmy as they left.

L'Labi watched the two men go in the opposite direction of the child. He was confused as to why they would go that way if they were looking for the child. Could there be a vantage point in the area they were heading to. That was something L'Labi could use, so he decided to follow them.

***

Sam had run himself out and had to stop by a tree. He had his back to the tree trunk, trying to catch his breath. Nubi sat in front of him with a concerned look on his face. He was worried for Sam, but it didn't compare to how scared Sam was.

Sam had just finished witnessing a murder and the killers saw him. He was in great danger and he knew it. He saw plenty of mob movies to know people who witness murders become the next target for the killers. Get rid of the witness and no one can send them to jail. These types of people don't care if the witness is an adult or a child. They're coming to kill him.