Pride of a Boxer

Madrigal tossed the newspaper with a photo of himself and his opponent to the floor in front of the world renowned boxing trainer, Gilberto. The trainer looked down at the photo which had Madrigal dressed up as a clown. Written under him in large bold letters was the word BUM.

"This isn't just some paycheck for me. This is my career. This is the fight that proves I'm one of the best. The problem is nobody thinks I can win. That my opponent is too strong. He punches too hard and I can't take a hit. Yeah I've been knocked out but...."

"You got heart," interrupted Gilberto.

"I got heart," repeated Rafa Madrigal.

"I know," said Gilberto. "That's why I'll be training you. I've seen you get hurt and I've seen you get back up, trying to keep fighting even though your body had given up. Together we'll prove you're the best. Come fight night you'll leave champ." A new partnership began between a boxer and his trainer.

****

Like in any big championship fight, there were cameras. They filmed everything in sight. This was where Gilberto shined. He was a natural with the cameras and they loved him. The fight was supposed to be an easy win for Madrigal's opponent but Gilberto turned it into something different. Gilberto would tell the cameras, "Madrigal's opponent isn't even that good. His previous opponents were past their prime, too small, too slow, just not up to par. Rafa Madrigal is none of those things. Madrigal has fought wars in the ring while his opponent has had his record padded." Gilberto single-handedly turned an underdog story into a clash of warriors.

At first Madrigal appreciated what Gilberto was doing, but after a cameraman asked him to move to the side so he could get a good shot of Gilberto, Madrigal felt a bit of jealousy. The press was showing Gilberto more attention than they were him. Gilberto was so charismatic that he sold the fight better than Madrigal ever could. Gilberto was getting famous off of his fight and it aggravated him.

Madrigal felt he was being used and it distracted him during sparring. He took a mean right hook and went down.

Gilberto was in the ring instantly. He leaned over Madrigal. "Stay down. Take a breath."

Madrigal shoved Gilberto away. The sparring partner went to Gilberto's defense but he stopped him, waving him off.

"Everyone leave!" yelled Gilberto, keeping eye contact with Madrigal as everyone left the room. "So what's the problem? We're a month away from the fight. Not the best time for distractions."

Madrigal stood up and got in Gilberto's face. "You're my problem!" Madrigal backed away from Gilberto before he did something stupid.

"You going to be more specific or am I supposed to guess?"

"I feel like you're using me," the proud boxer finally spat.

"What do you mean?" Gilberto asked calmly.

"I'm the boxer! I'm the one in the ring taking the hits but all anyone cares about is what you have to say. The cameras should be on me, not you."

Gilberto sat down at the corner of the ring. He looked Madrigal straight in his eyes. "Do you honestly believe that?"

Madrigal used his teeth to pull his glove off and threw it in Gilberto's direction. "No. I'm just angry," he said, climbing through the ropes.

"Rafa, wait." Madrigal stopped. "This is a partnership. We're a team. You rise, we rise. I'm just building you up to the fans so when fight night comes, everyone will be watching. You understand that right?"

Madrigal took a deep breath. "I do. I'm just nervous I guess."

"I'll sell the fight and continue to train you. You just worry about your training."

"What happens if I lose? I'll disappear while you go on to train another fighter. Your career continues while mine ends."

"Did you not hear me the first time? You rise, we rise. If you fall, so will I. You think people are ever going to take me seriously if you get knocked out in the first round. When you're fighting in that ring, you'll not only be fighting for yourself but for me too."

"I rise, we rise," he said.

"Alright then," said Gilberto, handing Madrigal his glove back. "Ready to return to your training?"

****

Fight night came and Rafa Madrigal was as ready as he was going to be. Madrigal and Gilberto were both on the same page, here to win. The stadium was packed and the people were here to see if Madrigal was more than a bum like originally advertise.

The fight was about to begin, Gilberto giving Madrigal some final advice. "Remember your opponent hits hard so don't go in there and brawl with him. Box him, control the ring, and keep your distance. You hit him enough times and he'll go down."

After 12 competitive rounds the fight was over. Both fighters had gotten knocked down in the final rounds but managed to get back up and go at it again, finishing strong. The fight could go either way and now it was up to the judges to decide who won. The crowd cheered them both and knew they just watched two warriors give it their all.

Gilberto and Madrigal stood in the middle of the ring. "Win or lose, you proved everyone wrong tonight," said Gilberto.

"Thank you Gilberto," said Madrigal, embracing him. "Thank you so much."

"The winner by split decision and your new champion, Rafa Madrigal." The ref raised Madrigal's hand in victory with all cameras on him.