Chapter Thirty Four: Bitten

Start from the beginning

She averted her gaze, unsure of herself "Because my self-control when it comes to men has wavered once again?"

I crossed my eyebrows and forced her eyes toward me with my fingers under her chin "I'm nothing like that kid down there"
The last thing I wanted her to believe was that I would mistreat her the way Talon had. I could never touch her the way he had. I had lost control of my temper because of what that man had done to her.

She gave a small false smile

"Hey" I smiled, coaxing her to trust me "I'll make you a deal?"

Her beautiful soft eyes smouldered on mine "What's that?"

"If you still don't like the camp after a few weeks, we'll leave. You and I both, we'll go" I bargained

Her lips parted, surprised "We'll leave?"

I nodded "Just you and me"

Her smile was suddenly genuine

-

If looks could kill, I'd probably be dead. Ronan stood a few meters from me as we stood out the front of the house about half an hour after we'd gotten up.

I tried to avoid his deadly gaze, but it was near impossible. I held my arms tightly folded over my chest, digging my boot into the dirt.

"Are we ready now?" Jaxon asked, slinging his backpack over his shoulder.
Jesse nodded adjusting his sword in between his shoulder blades "We should be there before sundown"

"Good, let's get going then, we are after all behind schedule because of a certain sleep in" Jaxon smirked, his head tilted towards me walking slowly behind the four men.
My eyes narrowed on him, threateningly. He only winked, his eyes brushing over Ronan before surrendering.
I knew how this was going to play out, and expectedly, after about a half an hour of walking, Ronan was beginning to drop back, lingering closer towards me as I avoided him.

Thankfully, the sun had given us its beautiful grace and burned down into my face. Yet, the heat I felt from Ronan's eyes could have been the reason behind it. It was annoying.

"So are we going to talk about it?" He began eager

I shrugged "About what?"

He rolled his eyes, sighing as I noticed Jesse ahead of me quirk his head slightly sideward. He was attempting to listen in on the conversation, untrusting of Ronan's sharp false tongue.

"Don't play that game with me"

"I'm not playing any games Ronan" I told him forcefully, keeping my eyes forward

"You and Jesse, what happened?" He shot, intrusive and rude

My teeth gritted, tensing my cheekbones.
"You and Tricia, what happened?" I pulled back out angrily

I had surprised him, his footing stumbling slightly

He shook his head "Whatever you've heard, it's a load of crap"

I couldn't bite back the scoff, my hand lingering on my belt where my knife was.

"Let's not go there Ronan, shall we?"

"After what I told you about him, I thought you'd finally understand the extent of the danger you seem to enjoy putting yourself in around him" He continued anyways

"Ronan" I spat, turning, my voice louder than I had intended, all eyes spun in our direction

"This whole world is full of danger. Creatures are dangerous, clouds are dangerous. I'm dangerous, and he's dangerous" I pointed to Jesse "But you, you are manipulative and sly and I don't trust a single word that comes out of your mouth"