"This doesn't mean anything," I said to her. I didn't want her assuming anything out of my kindness.

She gave me a knowing grin, bumping her shoulder against mine. "Sure, Jeon. Keep telling that to yourself."

I shrugged and smiled a little. "Yeah, I always keep telling myself that we're just workmates."

"Funny. I've got to go. I'll be back before you miss me."

"Whatever," I said and she only let out a laugh.

"Well, something happened last night so I kept her company."

"What happened?"

Taehyung raised a brow. "It's an intimate information I must not share with you."

I chuckled. "What, you're best friends with Soohyun now?"

"Wouldn't it be so nice if I had two best friends? Soohyun is really nice when she just stops talking about you. I don't like to be caught up between you two, though. I'm staying out of your issues." It led me wondering what they talked about, and I didn't even want to consider the thought that they could have talked about me.

"We're not enemies or something, Taehyung."

"But there's tension. I just want to breathe in peace." He shoved the rice into his mouth.

I took a moment to put him under scrutiny. "You really do sound like you're close with her. I feel betrayed."

"I'm not taking sides. You can pull each others' hair and I won't flinch a muscle."

I laughed at his response. "Shut up."

"But seriously, Jungkook. If you just give it a chance, she could be a good friend..."

"I've thought about that."

"Well?"

"I don't think she will like it."

"You still think she wants something more than that?"

"No... Soohyun might find it offensive, at least for now."

"I bet she won't... I believe she won't make a big deal out of it."

"You think so?"

He tapped my shoulder heavily. "I swear."

. . .

During the day there was so much to do. I did my rounds, tended to my patients and run-of-the-mill cases with my team, finished consultations and documentation work. Getting scolded also seemed to be a part of my daily routine so I tried to take things easy. I did my best not to take things to heart so it wouldn't hurt that much when I was called stupid at work.

My mind kept going back to the table death yesterday so I found more work to keep me away from my thoughts. I was even tempted to work overtime so I could sleep quickly straight after I left the hospital.

After all the work I had to be done with, I changed into fresh clothes and packed my things. I was lucky enough not to be forced to extend my working hours until the next morning unlike Taehyung who was taking a quick nap because he needed to stay awake for the next hours.

As soon as I stepped out of the hospital, the loudness of the rain greeted my ears. My eyes roamed the surroundings. I gazed into the distance and I could make out a familiar handbag held by an even more familiar side profile of a woman.

I didn't know why my feet brought me to her direction. But I had hopes of talking to her... To clear up things between us because there was this lingering worry in my chest. It could be guilt or something that I shouldn't feel. But whatever it was, I didn't want it to be sitting in my stomach every time I would look at her.