thirty-five

< Thursday >

{ Luke }

Taylor had to work today, but I didn't. I was staying home and finishing up the nursery while Carter was at school. Taylor was actually in San Francisco working so I had Carter by myself. I really didn't want Taylor going that far alone especially since she's pregnant, but she insisted.

Just as I finished up the crib, my phone started ringing and Carter's school was on the caller ID,

"Hello? This is Luke Hemmings"

"Hi Mr. Hemmings. This is Mrs. West. I'm calling regarding Carter. He's not breathing too well and it's quite worrying"

I sighed,

"I'll be right there"

I grabbed my keys and wallet and went straight to his school, calling the doctor and getting an appointment right away.

I pulled into the parking lot and walked inside to get Carter. When I walked in he was sitting in a chair in the office. I could hear him wheezing as soon as I walked in,

"Dang Car" I kissed his head, "You didn't sound like this this morning"

"I don't feel good" he whined, rubbing his eyes,

"I know buddy. We're going to the doctor"

He nodded and I picked him up and grabbed his bag. I signed him out of school and drove him over to the doctor.

The doctor did a bunch of X-rays and while we waited for those results, they had Carter on oxygen.

When the doctor came in, he looked very worried,

"Carter had a collapsed lung"

Those five words made my eyes widen,

"So what do we do?" I asked grabbing my little boy's hand,

"He needs surgery. I already called the children's hospital. All you need to do is take him there. They already know he's coming and they have a surgeon ready"

My heart was racing but I nodded and raced over to the hospital where they immediately got Carter ready and took him into surgery.

I went back to the waiting room and called Taylor,

"Hey babe" she spoke cheerfully. That cheery mood was about to change,

"Baby, Carter has a collapsed lung and he's in surgery right now"

"What the fuck!? Oh my god! Is he okay?"

She was panicking,

"Yes baby he's okay. I need you to calm down for your sake and the baby's. Just come home as soon as you can and BE CAREFUL"

"I will Lu. Tell him I love him if I don't get back before he wakes up"

"I will baby. Drive safe"

****

I feel like I've been sitting here forever. My four-year-old is in surgery and nobody has come to tell me anything.

I saw Ashton walk in and he came and sat next to me, putting a bag at my feet,

"There's clothes for all three of you in there along with some toys for Carter and his blankie. And Michael took Petunia to his"

"Thanks" I smiled and hugged him from the side, "You guys are truly the best"

"No worries man. So when's Taylor getting here?"