Chapter 3

The noise in my garage is doing nothing for my banging headache.

I take a couple of asprin and drink nearly half a bottle of water while swallowing them.

I pull out my phone and shoot Grace a quick text asking how she is, I also notice Mia has text me asking how I am. Since when did we all start talking about our feelings like some kinda fucking family support group?

Sometimes I wonder why I thought it was a good idea to open up shop on my own. Days like today when business is slow and the profits are even slower I curse myself for thinking it was a good idea.

However, considering I'm hanging out of my asshole with a hangover, I realise what a smart guy I actually am.

No boss breathing down my neck about the little bit of work that does need done or the fact the garage could do with being a little tidier. Nope, free to sit on my old worn chair, with my feet up on the desk, hands behind my head with my eyes closed snoozing.

"Hello?" I hear a voice call out. I jump in my seat and straighten myself up so that it doesn't look like I was just taking an afternoon nap.

"Be right there" I tell whoever is standing in the doorway.

I turn around and try to pick my jaw up from the ground where it just fell.

A pair off battered converse are covering a pair of feet. Those feet lead up to long, slender, tanned legs clad with high waist jean shorts. A white T shirt loosely tucked into them.

Once I finally drag my eyes away from those legs and small waist my eyes meet big brown ones.

Brown eyes that are part of a face I recognise.

Is it my hangover making my brain work this slowly or is it her?

Kaylie Martin.

Her brown hair lies just above her shoulders now in loose waves with a pair of sunglasses sitting on top of her head, it used to be right down her back. I think I like it better shorter though, she looks older, more mature.

Why haven't I used my words yet?

"Well what d'ya know? Of all the garages in all of the towns, I break down near Cole Anderson's." She says, a big, beautiful smile taking over her face.

I still haven't used my words. Apparently my mouth doesn't work anymore.

"Get over here" she holds out her arms in front of her and shakes her head and wraps them around me when she realises I'm not moving.

Eventually my brain decides to work again and I return her hug.

I'm taken aback by how familiar this all feels.

Her skin is soft and warm and especially in my fragile state I could probably let her hug me to sleep.

"What are you doing back here?" I finally ask.

"On my way to see my folks. Car broke down on the way, you just so happened to be the closest garage." She tells me, that warm smile never fading.

"You look amazing." I blurt out. Nice going dickhead, she's been in the shop for all of 2 minutes. Maybe get the greetings out of the way first.

"You don't look so bad yourself Anderson."

"So.." Why the fuck am I stuck for something to say? And why am I rocking back and forth on my heels like a fucking kindergartener.

She tries to hide her smile, "So..my car?"

"Oh shit. Yeah, I can take a look at it."

"Great, well I managed to get it to my Mom's so anytime you're free really or never time you're at your parents. I've just rented an apartment not too far from here."

"You're sticking around?" I ask, and couldn't kick myself at the hope in my voice.

She nods her head and it dawns on me what she said about her car being at her Mom's.

I watch those big brown eyes taking everything around them in. "God, how long has it been?" I ask even though I know the answer.

"Almost five years."

I shake my head, just in case I'm dreaming, "I've missed you Kaylie."