Chapter 12

"I'm sorry, I need to get back to the garage." I lie through my fucking teeth and bolt for the door like the coward and shit friend I've always been.

I'm vaguely aware of Kaylie calling me but I don't stop to think about it until I'm in my car and on my way home.

I slam my hand against my steering wheel in frustration.

***

"You're late." I tell Hunter as he strolls through the door, his face in it's usually irritating happy state.

I don't look up from the car I'm working on but I'm pretty sure I actually heard the little shit roll his eyes.

Much to my surprise Hunter doesn't bother me too much during his first day. He listens to everything I tell him and follows the instructions I give him without complaint or wise ass remarks. He's actually a pretty fast learner and he's not pissing me off yet. Not that I'm gonna tell him that.

I hear the click clacking of high heels and see long dark hair coming through the garage before I hear Mia's voice.

"Two visits in one week?" I ask with a raised brow.

She rolls her eyes at me and throws her car keys at me which I catch easily. "My car won't start asshole."

"How'd you get it here?"

"It was making a funny noise and luckily it didn't cut out until I got here" she explains.

I'm about to put down my sandwich but decide to put Hunter's knowledge to the test. I did give him a huge manual on car parts and faults the day after I offered him the job, so let's see if the kid revised.

He looks like he's about to shit himself but gets up and makes his way outside anyway once I've handed him her keys. I can

"Sooo, how'd you're date go last night?" Mia asks as we follow Hunter to her car.

He pops open the hood and I don't interfere.

"He blew it." I hear Hunter's muffled voice coming from underneath the hood.

I narrow my eyes at him, even though he's paying me no mind, "You shut your shit and work." I turn back to Mia, "I didn't blow it. She has a kid and it threw me by surprise." I tell her.

Mia's jaw practically hits the ground. "No fucking way."

"Yep. So I obviously didn't handle it as well as I could have but I'm gonna fix it." I tell her, although I'm not sure why I'm telling her.

When did I start sharing my feelings, when did I start having feelings? Maybe it's because I've actually been sober for a few days now, and isn't that a sad fact.

"So you're gonna give it another go?" She asks hopefully.

I shake my head in confusion, "No. The kids four, Mia."

She looks at me in confusion and I notice Hunter has stilled slightly too.

"He's the double of Josh and the math adds up. He's just had his birthday. She has a kid with my dead best friend." I wait for her to realise what I'm saying and I'm vaguely aware that Hunter bumps his head on her car hood, no doubt eavesdropping.

"I can't peruse that. But I will be there for her. The kid too. That's what Josh would have wanted." I tell her with finality in my tone.

I had a lot of time to think about this last night and I know that this is what I have to do. I have to support her and the kid no matter what my feelings towards her are. I have a duty to Josh and now his son.

It's like some kind of cruel joke almost, Josh won her over in life and he's still fucking winning in death. The sick son of a bitch would have loved the irony of the whole situation.

I notice Hunter looking at us, he seems conflicted.

"What?" I ask him.

He seems to come out of his trance, shakes his head and gives Mia a knowing smile, she chews on her bottom lip and waits for what he's going to say.

"Well, in my not so expert opinion, I'm pretty sure that cars are supposed to have a battery."

"Oh my god, no way, did my car come without a battery?" Mia asks but her voice is anything but convincing.

"Seriously Mia?" I ask pinching the bridge of my nose.

"I'm sorry okay, I just wanted to know how it went. Well actually we all did, we tried to talk Grace into getting Hunter to spill the beans but she wasn't very cooperative, something about privacy and it being 'your business not ours'" Mia scoffs, "That girl's been in this family for eighteen years and still doesn't understand that our own business is the whole damn family's business."

She takes in my look of annoyance and decides to quit while she's ahead, "I'm sorry okay." She pulls a black car battery out of her bag, "Could one of you please put this thing back in though, I have no idea how to do it."

I let Hunter put the battery back in for my sister the journalist. No doubt she'll have the whole story ready to report back to the family stored in her head and ready to go.

Once her car's ready she looks at me with sympathy and places a hand on my arm softly, "For what it's worth, I don't think you should give up so easily." She stands on her tip toes to place a quick kiss on my cheek before leaving me with what she said.