Chapter 14

Pov Sugawara

I walked in the gym. Of course, none of the second or third years had arrived. But still a ball could be heard. And of course, Asahi and Daichi were at the gym. Practicing their serves and receives. Waiting.

"Good morning, owls." "Hey Suga." "Wait why did you call us owls?" "Owls are awake all night, just like you two." "Hey thats not true." "Then look outside and tell me it isn't night." "He's right. The sun isn't up." "Asahi you can't accept that." "Sorry Daichi. Please don't get mad." "Who said I was going to get mad?" "Who said you wasn't?" "Woah, woah. Calm down you two."

I'm actually starting to get used to their instant arguments. Is this how Shimizu, Kanna and Keiji felt when Koe and I didn't stop arguing. I feel so sorry for them.

"Come on. What are you waiting for Suga? An invitation." "Sorry. Got it." I ran up to the net were both were standing. "So, what do you two want to do first?" "How about we practice our receive with your serve?" "With mine?! Why?" "Out of the three of us you have the best aim." "Daichi is right. With your serve Suga we can practice direct receive. With mine and Daichi's more difficult serves." "Got it?" "Sure."

We spent around an hour doing that. Then at seven o'clock the rest of the team started coming. The real morning practice started. Shimizu never comes for morning practice. The captain says he doesn't want to disturb her. During the rest of the practice, we barely trained more. Though we did do some tactics. Finally, something I'm actually useful at. And of course, no one knows I'm good at this type of things. Should I go and tell them a few ways to improve? Good idea. After everyone is gone though.

"Captain. Do you have a second?" "Sure, thing Sugawara. What is wrong?" "Well, I wanted to say that there are a few weak spots in the tactics you just describe and if you wanted, I could help in improving them. I-I-i-if you didn't mind of course." He looked at me surprised. "Sure thing. Where do you say?" Let's do it Sugawara Koushi. "If you see right here. The wing spiker hits doing a parallel. But as we saw in the video before. The blocker from the other team is pretty agile. So, he would immediately be able to block that parallel. That leaves us with two different options the first one strike it outside making sure the blocker hits the ball or spiking the ball horizontally. The option that is most likely to work is the second one."

I watched as the captain thought about what I just said. "Your right. If that spike is directed outside the blocker would find out and wouldn't block the ball. You are a genius Sugawara-san. From now on please help me with the tactics. Tell me the rest of your ideas later. Have a nice day!!" "Thank you. You too."

I can't believe this. The captain accepts my help. That has never happened before. In my last team no one actually cared if I was there or not. It was a kind of a weird relationship. In those three years I never had had such bonds as the ones I've made here in only two months. This is incredible.

The school day passed pretty quickly. I usually pay a lot of attention in class. I'm not the type, who sleeps in class. But today I spent half of my day thinking about what the captain said. And also trying to think up of other ways of improving their tactics. Their. Isn't it ours now. I guess that it is always like that. Whenever they put me in a group or anything. I'm always in second place. It doesn't matter if I'm cleverer or better than the other person. But, here in Karasuno I feel different. I'm not in second, third or fourth place. We are all in the same level. For some reason, which I don't understand, is the fact that in this preparatory I've felt alive with people I barely know. It's so strange.

"Sugaaaaaaaa, do you want and come to eat lunch with us?" "Sure." "Wow, you have a nice class." Asahi said. "Thank you? I guess." "No broken windows or anything." "WHAT DO YOU MEAN WITH BROKEN WINDOWS?" Daichi yelled. "Not to worry. One of the boys from my class has very bad aim and broke two windows." "TWOOO." "Yep. The class window and the staff room window." I actually choked all of the water I was drinking. "What do you mean by the staff room window?" "Well. You know the teachers room window." "You guys are crazy." Daichi said under his breath. "Daichi. Don't say that. You know it wasn't me." "It was a collective thing." "Shut up. A teacher can hear you."

For some reason I enjoy spending time with them. For now, they aren't really spending much time with Shimizu but knowing them it will not take long. They are probably embarrassed to even talk to her. They've told me a couple of times how am I able to talk to her without hesitation whatsoever. I still can't believe they haven't realised we are old friends. Also, I'm not going to tell them.

"Suga could I have your pudding?" "Asahi. What have I told you?" "Sorry Daichi. I'm just hungry." "Wow you two shouldn't start arguing for something like that. Here Asahi I'm not really hungry." I handed him the pudding I obviously brought in case anyone of them wanted anything. "Suga you are going to spoil him." "Come on Daichi let him have this one." "That is what you said last time. And the one before. And the one before that one too." "Okay, but this one will be the last one." "You also said that before. Also, if anyone should eat more here its you Suga." "Why me?" "You are not serious. Right? It's obvious what Daichi is saying. Nutrients are used to endure your body. And you are thinner than a twig." "Oh, shut up."

I acted as normally as I could. But inside of me my heart broke. They are always talking about that. Every single bad word they say to me is that I'm thin. Or I'm not able to execute correctly because I'm weak. They are all fun and jokes, but it really offends me. The worst thing is that I'm scared they'll stop talking to me because of this. But even if they stop talking to me I'll still have Shimizu and the other K's by my side. I hope.

"Before classes start again and we are sucked back into that horrible place. What were you telling the captain this morning?" "Nothing important." "Are you sure?" "Yes, I was just offering some help for improving the tactics he explained." "Really." "What did he say?" "We are going to discuss them after school." "Thats so cool." "Good luck with that Suga." "Thank you Daichi, Asahi."

We finished eating. I headed towards the library. There still are a few minutes left before the bell rings. I wonder how Shimizu is doing. OW.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" "Yeah, yeah I'm fi—. Shimizu!!!" "Sugawara-san." "Why were you running? And why do you always bump on me?" "Heey. Last time you were the one who bumped me." "Sorry." "For your information I was running to class because we are going to be late." "Late? Fuck. I forgot my clock was wrong." We run to our class and enter just in time. The teacher still wasn't there, but everyone was already seated. "Great we are not late." "Congratulations you two. For arriving just in time. Only 1 out of every 20 students have that ability." The class started clapping. Both of us turned red and decided to sit down at our normal sits before the teacher arrived. What a race.

Pov Daichi

Suga has been acting a little weird today. He hasn't brought out any of the things we mentioned on Friday nor the scene in the restaurant. I told Asahi about it and both of us are pretty suspicious about that boy, who goes by the name of Sugawara Masaki. If what they said is true a middle schooler club doesn't go until that late at night. Also, it would've taken them much more time to prepare to have dinner. Also, the kid said he was in a swimming club. But he wasn't wet or didn't even look tired. I wonder who he really is and his relationship with Suga.

I'm also curious about why he didn't offer his help to the captain during morning practice and didn't just after, when everyone had left. And also, his relationship with Shimizu. While me and Asahi get nervous when we are with her, he doesn't even flinch. The worst thing is, she hasn't ignored him. Not even once. During breaks they are chatting or just enjoying the space between them. I want to know the real relationship between them. And why they don't talk about it. It doesn't matter if it takes me the three years of preparatory.