Chapter 8

Pov Sugawara

Wow we sure whipped out those guys, who would've said they were volleyball players. Of course, after analysing the names me and Shimizu found out that Asahi and Daichi were between those 20 players. Probably they'll soon ask for help. And if they do so we'll have to avoid at any costs the temptation of playing.

For me, videogames are not only games meant for entertainment or something that breaks children's minds. They are another world where I can connect with other people, who have my same problems. Thanks to these online games I'm able to spend some time with my closest friends, and also with my little brother.

Time skips (Monday)

I start heading to school. I love mornings. The smell of the flowers and the birds singing. The wind blowing my hair and the silence covering the normally noisy streets.

"Dammit." I know that voice. I walk round the corner and see both of them. I couldn't help but laugh a little. "Asahi, Daichi. How are you guys doing?" Come on Suga act as if you don't know. "Good, what about you?" "Great. Although are you two saying the truth?" Fuck I said it. Wait there is still a way to save myself. "How did you know Daichi was lying?" "Asahi!" "Well, I heard one of you curse so, I'm just guessing." "You totally got us."

"We are actually a bit angry." "Angry at what?" I asked hiding every single part of me that already knew. "See, some weeks ago we were discussing about some things that we did at middle school. Then we realised we both play this online game called 'war legends'. It was really popular some years ago. But it started losing its popularity because many gamers had finished it and didn't have anything else to do. This was until the creators made a challenge saying that the player or group of players, who speed runed the game quicker would become the boss of a level. The winners were a group of 5 players, and no one has been able to get their title away since."

"Wow. They seem really powerful." "Yes, they are. On Friday we decided to take the challenge and try to defeat them alongside 18 other players. All of us were very experience and thought we would win." "But you lost. Didn't you?" "Yes." "The good thing about everything was the fact that all of them are volleyball players." "You sure look the positive thing about everything Asahi. So, what are you guys doing now?" "That is easy. We filmed the whole thing. One of the gamers analysed the video. So, we are able to defeat them in the future. We'll need more players." They are smart. I don't want to abuse of this information but I better tell the rest. "Hey Suga, would you like to join?" "Huh? Not really. I'm not into videogames." "Oh, okay then." Buf that was a close call.

They sure are something else. We'll need more practice too. Also, I'm scared about that video. I'll tell Keiji as fast as I can.

Later that day (after practice)

"Wow. I sure hate HIT training." Asahi protested. "You say that because you don't like to sweat. Then I'm sorry about you but if you complain one more time I'll be rougher on you." Daichi sure is scary when he gets angry. "Oh, come on Daichi. You need to relax a little." "I'm completely relaxed." "Then, why are you so scary?" "I am not scary Asahi." "Come on guys. Calm down. We are all tired and everything." They looked at me. Bad moment. Bad moment. Why did I say that?

"Shut up Suga. You have no right to talk right now. Not when you are the weakest of the team." What did he say? "Daichi. You are going too far. You know Suga can't do anything about his strength." Wait, what? They both think this. "There are two types of strengths Asahi. And Suga is lacking from both of them." "Daichi! Enough!" "You are not my boss." "Neither are you mine!!"

They are so loud. Please, please. Shut up. My ears can't deal with it. It's coming back. That feeling. It's at level 4 increasing rapidly. Soon I will not be able to breathe. Make it stop.

"What is going on here!!!" Who is that? "We are sorry captain. We are tired and grumpy. We are sorry for the noise. Or for arguing." Daichi and Asahi said hurriedly. "Don't worry you two. But I want you to know if you insult or hurt a player then it will be more difficult to work together. Do you understand?" "Yes captain. We are really sorry." "You don't have to give me the apology. Talking about such. Sugawara-san are you okay?"

I felt their eyes staring at me. I was behind them with my hands over my ears. Not again. Why do I always end up like this? Come on stupid say something.

"I-I-I'm okay." I managed to say. I bowed. Got my bag and left the changing room. Their eyes still looking at me. Perfect. Just what I wanted.

Pov Asahi

Today was a bad day. I've been complaining for all of the day. The battle we lost on Friday was enough to keep me away from my usual self. Daichi on the other hand was furious. After practice, I started complaining and he started to lose it. Suga realising we were going to be at each others throats in a few minutes tried to stop the argument. Making Daichi snap at him. When the captain came to stop us, Suga was in a little corner with his eyes closed and his hands over his ears. He looked in pain.

Captain asked if he was okay. Then he realised what had happened, told us everything was fine and left. We just stared at him. It's already weird to see yourself in an embarrassing scenario, worse it is to get out of it. I wonder why Suga acted like that.

"Azumane, Sawamura did any one of you two say something bad to Sugawara or something like that?" "I snapped at him before. I am so sorry." Daichi confessed. "I see. I don't know Sugawara as you two do but looking at his expression it seems he was trying to relax and think of a way to stop you two from fighting." "You think that captain? From my point of view, I think he was in pain or something." They looked at me. I don't know if they were angry or surprised. The two of them look so scary. "I guess your right Azumane."

"But why would he be in pain? It doesn't make any sense." Daichi is right. There is no reason to be in pain because of a silly argument. Right? "I'm not sure about that Sawamura. There are many different kind of people in this world. We can't know about how everyone feels. Less when you barely know them." "But we know him. We are friends." I protested. "You've only been friends for a small-time you guys should try to talk to your friend and see if he is okay. And why he acted like that. But don't do it today or your relationship will worsen." "Okay, captain." Daichi and I said while bowing and getting all of our things.

"Asahi before you go home. How should we ask Suga?" "I don't know. What about indirectly." "Indirectly?" "Yes, you know. When you ask someone without them actually knowing your real question." "And how are we supposed to do that?" "Isn't it obvious. Remember your idea with the exams. Let us do this in that meeting and play a game of questions and do it then." "Thats a great idea Asahi let us do it." "Sure thing."