communication

A whirring noise could be heard throughout the lab as y/n was adjusting the settings on her newly-constructed device

A whirring noise could be heard throughout the lab as y/n was adjusting the settings on her newly-constructed device. The name was still undecided, but it was a gun that could store cursed energy and shoot out disks containing this energy. These disks would then explode upon contact, thus allowing for the exorcism of curses even from long distances.

Y/n designed this device so that anyone could use it, even Maki who barely had any cursed energy, because the cursed energy it stores doesn't necessarily  have to come from its user. For instance, Maki could use the weapon while gaining the cursed energy required from someone like Yuji.

It had been a couple of days since her initial recruitment and she was working on perfecting the device. Some glitches that occurred were that the disks would sometimes malfunction and instead of properly compacting the cursed energy to allow for an explosion, it would slowly release it like air inside a balloon with a hole. 

Taichi, one of y/n's fellow engineers, was helping her with fixing these issues as he worked well with smaller machinery like the disks. He had fluffy brown hair with hazel eyes that were much friendlier than any of the other students.

"I think we're almost done y/n. The mechanism inside the gun works fine and with these new, more flexible disks we shouldn't have any more compaction problems."

"Ok great! Do you wanna go outside and test it Taichi? We can use their training field."

"Sure. Let's go."

They grabbed the gun and five disks they had just created. The sun was shining outside and a tranquil breeze ruffled their hair once they opened the doors.

"Okay. I got permission from Nanami-sensei to shoot the dummies over there," y/n said while pointing to the fake people on the field.

"Alright, would you like to do the honors?" Taichi asked as he handed her the gun. Y/n nodded and loaded all five disks into the gun, which could hold ten in total. She wanted to add more, but they couldn't figure how to install a larger cartridge without affecting the system inside (at least not yet).

Y/n aimed and fired as a shell-shocking bang could be heard from throughout the entire courtyard. Megumi, who was currently sparring with Panda, whipped his head in the direction of the blast and saw her standing with a gun in hand. Intrigued, he asked Panda for a break, and began walking towards her.

"It worked Taichi!! We did it! Let's fire another one!!"

Megumi smiled at her liveliness and saw her pass the gun to the brown-haired boy. He fired another disk and saw the dummy fly in all directions, broken into a handful of different pieces.

All three students who had witnessed the display were amazed by its destructive power and y/n was proud of herself for making something that could actually be useful.

"Y/n! That was amazing," Megumi called out to her.

She locked eyes with him and became unfocused when she saw how good he looked in his practice uniform. She shook the thought away quickly.