Nineteen: "Go all out for your friends" - October 26

Start from the beginning

"But for real," Andi said once Lilac put her phone down, "I wasn't kidding about talking to a guy for advice. Call your dad or something."

"That's not a bad idea, actually," Lilac said, considering her proposition. "I'll see what he says."

"Good luck," Andi said, standing up and heading out. "Let me know how it goes!"

"Roger that," Lilac called. She wasted no time, and since she had her parents on speed-dial, she had a call going through moments later.

"Hello?"

"Hi Dad," Lilac said, "I have a question."

"No," He immediately responded, and Lilac made a face.

"Dad." Her father chuckled.

"I'm just kidding, dear. What's up?"

"I need to buy a birthday gift for a guy, but guys are impossible to shop for. What should I do?" Mr. Lindsay sat up a little straighter, not expecting that to be her question.

"That's both a very specific and very broad question. Who's the guy, what does he like?"

"It's George," Lilac informed him reluctantly, and she could practically hear the smile crack her father's face in half.

"Oh, George? The George you don't have any feelings for? The one you cooked with- your mother showed me that video, by the way-?"

"Yes, Dad," Lilac said, a wry smile already on her face.

"The one who values your opinion more than Gordon Ramsey?" He continued, chuckling, and Lilac sighed to cover up a laugh.

"That's the one."

"I mean, that's a question only you can really answer, dear," Her dad said, pausing the joke to answer honestly. "I don't know the kid, I can't tell you what he likes besides video games and cooking; those are the only two things I've seen." Lilac hummed. Her father was right.

"What about a cookbook? How much does he enjoy cooking?" Her father asked, and Lilac replied,

"I think he really does enjoy it, but I don't know how often he does it," She said, really thinking. There was something to this, she felt like her father was onto something.

"Well, perhaps getting a cookbook would give him the opportunity to cook more," Her dad suggested. "Is there anything you remember him saying he likes?" Lilac's eyes flew open after a moment.

"Dad, you're a genius!"

"I am?" He said, "I mean, I am," He joked, immediately switching gears and making them both laugh.

"You are! Calling you was the best decision, I'm going to have to thank Andi later," Lilac gushed. "Dad, when I was down there visiting him and the boys, I made them all pumpkin pancakes."

"My recipe? That's my girl," Mr. Lindsay said proudly, and Lilac grinned.

"Of course. And they all loved it, but George said he wanted to learn how to make them. What if-" She had to take in a breath because she had said all of that in one breath. "What if I put together a cookbook of some of our recipes for him to try?"

"That's a great idea, honey!" Her dad confirmed. "It's more personal than just getting a standard cookbook, too."

"Yeah," Lilac agreed, mind whirling at the possibilities. "I can even add little notes of how we sometimes change up the recipes, I can mark which recipes are who's special ones..." Mr. Lindsay smiled as he listened to his daughter detail her plan, coming up with more and more intricate ideas on the spot.