Chapter 11

The move to The States was an adventure of it's own. One that Peter and myself found more challenging than anything before. With the helpings of both Professor Kirke and Mr. Pevensie, the two of us had endured the never ending boat ride and found ourselves moved into a small, cozy cottage just down the street from where Mr. and Mrs. were living with Susan. It was a small, white house with blue trimmings and rose bushes that covered the front of the house. A little cliche as I have heard of most American houses, but this cliche was meant to be the beginnings of a new life.

The two of us held a small wedding in courthouse before moving to the States. While it wasn't even close to the wedding we had originally, this was held only for the paperwork and certificate stating we were married in this world. The rings we wore were our original, and I remember clearly how the judge commented on the uniqueness of the design.

Peter has successfully passed his exams back in England; and once we arrived here in the States he was graciously offered a job as a pharmaceutical assistant at the drugstore closer into town. The money was well deserving and was enough to where the two of us lived in comfort. As for myself, I spent my time maintaining the house and practicing some of Ms. Macready's recipes that I have failed once or twice at the beginning. Cooking is a little more complex than I thought. I have even tried to remake some of the recipes from our other home, but the tastes would never compare. On the weekends, I volunteered at the library to get myself out of the house. There are a few neighborhood women's country clubs that I could have joined, but Susan had once told me that the women were usually stuck up.

Two years later, and the settling in had finally eased.

As I sipped my tea, I looked out the window, gazing at Mrs. Pevensie lining the laundry up on the wire. My mind went towards the sheets that were drying in my own backyard, probably dry and swaying in the wind. The simplest tasks that have brought myself a sense of tranquility since arriving here with Peter. Thoughts drifting to that man brought warmth to my face.

"How is that Naval officer of yours?" I asked, turning to Susan who was looking over some magazine. She glanced up with a sheepish smile before looking back down at the pages. She placed the magazine down on the table and clasped her hands together on the table.

"Thomas is quite wonderful, he is kind, polite, and quite courteous." she smiled, looking up out at the window with a love stricken look on her face.

"He plans to ask Father for permission to court me soon." She added, fumbling with her fingers.

"He sounds like someone I used to know, I'm sure he will receive your father's blessing." I chuckled, thinking of a noble mouse from long ago, "You seem happy with him."

"Not as you with my brother, you two are happy with being yourselves. I feel like I need to put up an appearance to meet the standards with Thomas." She admitted, looking down. I watched as her demeanor changed within seconds.

"Well your brother and I had a different story, we have always just been together since I reunited with you all. There was no need to be people we were not." I admitted. The two of us grew feelings throughout a thrilling adventure, and after the end of it all, our relationship flourished as we adapted to the duties of rule together. Besides, there were no other humans for quite a while before we discovered the surrounding countries such as Calormen and even the Lone Islands. While the women were beautiful, they were set on the tradition of pure Calormen families.

"Well that is true, you two were very close even before you moved away." She claimed while grabbing her tea cup.

"I feel that if it were not for our time in Narnia though, we would not have ended up together." I mentioned, and she chuckled as if she knew something I did not, and took a sip of her tea.

"What wonderful memories you have! Fancy you're still thinking about all those funny games we used to play when we were children." She piped up, placing her dish down so she could avoid a spill.

I gaped at her in shock, "Wha- What do you mean games, Su?"

"Oh, you know! That fantasy world we made up at the mansion. With the war and everything, it was a great way that we passed the time."

I was shocked to see her completely place our childhood under some sort of imagination, but I closed my mouth and gave her a little chuckle, nodding my head to agree with her. I took another sip of my tea before placing it on its saucer and looking back out the widow. Mrs. Pevensie was no longer in sight from the window, yet I continued to watch the linens flow in the afternoon breeze.

The dishes that held beef bourguignon, mashed potatoes, and bread buns were left half empty on the table by the time dinner was finished. I had meant to package the leftovers and clean up, but Peter insisted on sharing a drink beforehand. Together we sat in our front room; a glass of scotch and wine in hands as we chatted from the matching chairs beside the window.

"Mr. Mullin thinks within the next few years the price of prescription drugs will increase immensely." Peter brings up, staring at his glass as he swirls it over his armrest.

"And does the pharmaceutical assistant get a discount if it does?" I joke out, earning a cheeky smile and a chuckle to rumble out from his chest that always warms my soul.

"Not quite, but by that time I'll hopefully have become a pharmacist by then, dear."

"Well, what do you think of it all?" I ask, leaning in and resting my elbows on me knees to show my interest. He pondered for a moment, almost frozen in thought before taking a small sip of his scotch and replying.

"I can't agree with the increase happening in just a few years, but it will happen. Given the arrival of all the new coming business franchises. It will become a capitalist battle with them all."

"Spoken like a true businessman." I chuckle, sitting up straight and taking a drink of wine.

"It's not all that different from the diplomatic affairs we've done." He admits, bringing us both back to the far off memories.

"We did learn quite a few skills from there didn't we?"

"Oh, that apple roasted quail you made last week truly brought me back. Just like home..." he sighed.

All the talk about our past home reminded me of this morning with Susan. It had festered in my mind whether to mention her slight statement to him or not, but if she truly believes in her lies, then it would only be a matter of time before he would hear it from her himself.

"Oh you know, I was over with your sister earlier today." I started, holding my glass with both hands to settle my nerves.

"How is she doing? She's told me about that officer she's been talking to."

"Yeah they are doing alright, but she said something quite odd that threw me off to be honest."

Peter's face immediately showed concern as he scooted to sit in the edge of his chair and placed his glass on the small tea table beside our chairs.

"What do you mean by odd, darling? What did she say?"

"She believes it all to be from imagination. Nat is, I mean. I lightly brought a memory up and she laughed me off. Called it a dumb game we played as children to pass the time while at Kirke's." I tell him, my voice raised as I worked myself over the situation.

"I see, but it's alright." Peter comforted me, placing an hand on my knee which by contact cleared my mind immediately. I nodded and placed my glass down beside his.

"I just don't understand. That was a chunk of our lives, it's what brought us all back together as a family, you and I! How can she just push that off as silly fantasies?" I explain the frustration I've been holding in all day. Words I wanted to yell to Susan about earlier.

"I'm sure she's just a little lost. You know how she is holding up appearances. She may have to leave all that behind, even if it means believing it not true." He admits sadly.