He saw the flicker of hurt in Gauri's eyes before she looked away.

"Wait a minute.. does she think he has a problem with marrying her?... he groaned mentally realizing that he was stuck.

If he married her it would be for the wrong reason and if he didn't she would think he rejected her.

Well played Gauri's Shankar ji... there is no safe way out of the loop.

"Right, why will I have a problem. We are married. I was just thinking of a better alternative," he replied having no other option.

"Good," Taadaka smiled before turning to his partner. "Gauri, let us go to the house and come back soon. You need to get dressed."

Please say no, if this happens, there is no turning back. It isn't just a walk around a match lit fire this time to make it void... her mind advised.

Can you go through another rejection?... it questioned.

He doesn't seem to have a problem... her heart tried to placate.

For the moment yes, but what if?... came the retort.

Shankar ji, do you really want this to happen? Please take care of the consequences, you are the only one I can trust... she prayed in desperation as a tear slid down her face.

"Gauri," Taadaka's called her and she hurriedly wiped the drop.

"Are you coming?" asked the elder one, her voice softer than before and she finally nodded her head, bringing out sighs of relief from everyone.

***********************************************************************************

The couple silently carried out the wedding rituals in the presence of the elders of the village. Neither of them spoke during the pheras or the recitation of mantras or during the exchange of garlands.

Both were mulling in their own insecurities when the pandit asked the groom to apply sindhoor to the bride and tie the mangalsutra.

As Omkara took the vermillion filled box, he had a mix of emotions which filled his heart with both worry and glee. Should he be happy that she is going to be a permanent part of his life or should he feel sad that it is happening for all the wrong reasons.

How he wished he could read her mind.

Is she happy or is she regretting it already?

With shaky hands, he filled her hair partition with color and tied the holy thread around her neck, testifying their official union as husband and wife.

As the priest concluded the rituals announcing the completion of wedding customs, they stood up from the mandap to take the blessings of the attendees.

"I am so happy for you," Taadaka gushed hugging them both while the rest looked on with happy smiles.

"Can we leave now?" Omkara whispered in the elderly's ears and she nodded with a smile.

"Go and wait by the car, I will just come," she said and walked ahead with her friends.

Gauri just started to follow them when she tripped on her lehenga. Her fall however was prevented as Omkara caught her in time.

"Careful," he whispered, steadying her and she looked at him through the transparent veil.

Though he couldn't clearly see her eyes hid by the chunri, he could see the traces of tears which slid down her cheeks. He released a shaky breath and placed a hand around her shoulder, pulling her to his chest.