11. Hades is now my least favourite god

Start from the beginning

'And yet, you had it with you all along,' Hades said with a slight hint of amusement. 'Whatever you say, demigod, I know the real reason you have come to me. You came to bargain for her.'

A small golden ball of fire escaped Hades' palm and floated towards me before colliding onto the floor right in front of me. Wisps escaped the ball and slowly, they collided together to form a golden image of my mum, still frozen in an eternal moment of pain. 

My breath hitched. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. Seeing my mum right in front of me, knowing that I had lost her only weeks ago, tore a hole in my chest. I tried reaching out to touch her but the golden light was as hot as Greek Fire.

'Yes,' Hades said with a smug smile on his face as he looked down on me. 'I took her. I knew, Percy Jackson, that you would come to bargain with me eventually. Return my helmet, and perhaps I will let her go.' 

I looked into my mum's pleading eyes.

'She is not dead, you know. Not yet,' Hades continued, sporting a sinister smile. 'But if you displease me, that will change.'

My eyes turned to look at Hades. I was conflicted about what I was going to do next. I had no idea if it was going to work or not.

But then again, when has that ever stopped me?

Please, Uncle, I prayed to Hades, hoping he would get the message somehow. The slight change in his face told me he heard me and so I continued. This is all a misunderstanding. We do not have your helmet but if you let my friends go, I will tell you where it is.

I was taking a huge risk. What if Hades decides to brush off the request and just blast us all on the spot? So far, he did not look convinced about letting Annabeth and Grover go free.

I stared at Hades until he looked me in the eyes before I prayed to him one more time.

Please, Uncle, I tried once again. It's me you want, not them. Let them go free and I will get you your helmet back.

His black eyes shifted to look at Grover and Annabeth behind me before settling back to meet my gaze. A satisfied smile appeared on his face.

'It seems that you and the satyr can go free, daughter of Athena,' Hades mused, making Annabeth's eyes go wide. 'Your friend has offered to stay for me to let you go.'

Two pairs of eyes widened at the revelation.

'What?!' Grover exclaimed in panic, ignoring the presence of a god that he undoubtedly found scary. 'Percy, what are you doing?'

'Don't worry about me,' I said forcing a smile before turning to meet Annabeth's wide grey eyes. 'If I don't make it, tell Chiron everything. Please.'

'No, we are not leaving you behind,' she responded angrily before brandishing her knife at the skeletons surrounding us. 'I can't let you give your life for us. You can tell Chiron yourself.'

I looked over to Hades and he gave me an almost imperceptible nod. I tried not to look at the shadowy tendrils snaking towards my two friends.

'Unfortunately, it is not your choice,' I said sadly. My eyes flickered onto her feet and she went to look but it was already too late.

Annabeth yelped in surprise and tried to back away but it was no use. In a blink of an eye, the shadows consumed her and in less than a second, the shadows receded and she was nowhere to be found.

I looked over to where Grover was previously standing and was just able to see the last slivers of the shadow that transported him to safety. Hopefully.