"I thought you'd be gone by now" I told him, folding my arms over my chest

He looked me up and down, taking in my new attire "You think Jesse would let us leave without making sure your drunken ass body wasn't out here in pieces?" He snapped

"I needed a shower and some new clothes" I told him casually

"Because the rest of us wouldn't enjoy that kind of thing either" He sneered, pushing a dirty finger into the clean black V-neck shirt I wore.

I couldn't help but smile, which only annoyed Jaxon more. He placed his hands on his hips and kept his eyes searching in the distance.

"Where are the others?" I asked

"Coming" He spat

"Someone needs a drink" I muttered under my breath, earning a shove to the shoulder

"Seriously though, don't do that shit again" Jaxon turned, his face more relaxed, returning to his usual care-free spirit. He draped an arm around my neck, sighing.

From afar, I could see three figures walking towards us at a quick pace. Talon looked pissed, screwing his face up, probably disappointed that I was still alive and well. Meanwhile, Ronan and Jesse looked as equally angry, yet not as disappointed as Talon was.

"Thank god" Ronan approached me, wrapping his arms around my neck, Jaxon barely making it out with his arm "What the hell were you thinking?" He muttered into my ear, too close for comfort.

"I needed some space. I'm still adjusting to this group thing" I replied, loud enough for the others to hear, mainly Jesse.

I wasn't sure what kind of reception I was going to receive off of him, and a part of me was nervous the moment Ronan let go of me.

"But you're okay?" Ronan checked, looking me up and down

I nodded "I'm fine"

"We should get moving, I have a feeling if we keep on top of time, we will make it to the border in less than two days from now" Jesse spoke, his eyes only briefly running over my face.

A part of me was relieved that he hadn't demanded to know what I was thinking, but a part of me fell a little when he showed me no reaction whatsoever.

I wanted then and there to regret kissing him, touching him with such affection and attention, but I couldn't, because I didn't. If the chance presented itself again, I couldn't say that it wouldn't happen again. Jesse had my emotions wrapped around his little finger, and deep down, I think he knew that.

-

For the entire day ahead, I spent my time walking behind Jesse and Ronan, talking with Jaxon. I told him about my history with Talon – except for the detailed parts - I told him about some of my favourite foods, my favourite colour, simple things that any ordinary person should know of a new friend. In return, he gave me his own history. His favourite colour was red, his favourite food was pizza. He'd had three serious girlfriends in his life, none of which lasted any longer than 2 years.

Usually, I wouldn't have cared about hearing anything personal said by Jaxon, or anyone else, but now, I refused to deny that I couldn't care. I had grown to rely on these people, and there was nothing wrong with that. If I wanted for the world to one day reconcile, I needed to reconcile with my own humanity. Over the day, I thought about the Creature that had refused to attack me. I wanted to tell Jaxon and Jesse, but I couldn't seem to find the right time. The air was too light. It was too nice of a day to be talking about something as confusing and as game-changing.

Jesse hadn't spoken to me, or anyone but Jaxon all day. He was being as quiet and as unfriendly as the day I met him. I wondered if he had finally given up on me, or if he thought that he would spend the day punishing me as though I was a child that had done something undeniably naughty.