10- The Third Challenge

Start from the beginning

Myeesha felt a pang of sadness at the memory of her little fluff ball. She quickly pushed the feeling away because she knew if she dwelled on it, she would eventually burst into a fit of tears. And that wouldn't do.

"I don't know how to walk like a cat."

"Swing your hips, suck in your stomach, one foot in front of the other," Midas instructed. "Simple."

Myeesha grimaced. "That sounds painful."

"Look, just go in there and work your magic. I'm sure Za'yaal will smile at the sight of you."

She glanced at the clock. Nearly every girl was taking half an hour in the room. "This is going to be a while, isn't it?"

"You think making Za'yaal smile is easy? Darling, he smirks and leers and looks self-satisfied. The Heir does not smile unless he truly means it."

"He isn't fake," Myeesha summed up and raised an eyebrow in a questioning manner. Midas nodded.

"Precisely."

From behind him, Tyron called his name. Midas glanced up and excused himself to go over to the guard. They indulged in deep conversation before both left the room. Myeesha bit her bottom lip, suddenly feeling alone. She sighed and went to her bedroom to pray. After finishing with Zuhr, she flounced down onto her bed and pulled her knees up, laying her head over the top. She smiled softly in thought.

"Hey, Myeesha! Where'd Ruhayl go?"

Myeesha's head snapped up. She was sitting near the stream, reading a book. They had a small stock of novels- her mother's little library. Myeesha took her time reading them, slowly absorbing the words her mother had enjoyed so long ago.

"What do you mean?" Her voice rose in panic. "Wasn't he with you?"

Musa shrugged and looked around. "He isn't now."

"Why are you so calm?" Myeesha shrieked and shot up. The book dropped to the floor and her face paled. "Ruhayl! Ruhayl!"

No answer.

Her breathing hitched.

"Ruhayl, baby, where are you?" She rushed into the cottage, praying he was inside. The cozy little house was dark and there wasn't a single sign of movement.

"RUHAYL!" The tears came then. She sobbed while running back and forth, in the house, out into the woods. Her twin stood by her garden and she sprinted to him, her eyes wide and her manner frantic. "Musa, he's not here! Oh my Allah, he's not here!"

"Myeesha, it's okay. Don't freak out."

She glowered at him, sniffing. "It's okay?" She echoed bitterly. "Ruhayl isn't here, Musa! Our baby brother is gone!"

Then she heard it.

The sweetest giggle.

Ruhayl's little head peeked out from behind Musa's leg. "Boo!"

Myeesha nearly passed out in relief.

She dropped to her knees and crashed him to her chest, smothering him with kisses and squeezing him tightly. "Ruhayl, oh Allah, Ruhayl."

Musa burst into laughter. "Oh my Allah, your face! You were crying! You actually thought I lost him?"

Myeesha's mouth dropped open as realization dawned upon her. "MUSA I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"