27. Dumbfound ...

Start from the beginning

"Abdul!" Yuti shrieked, running towards the man. Khusi quickly lunged towards Yuti, preventing her from going towards the criminal.

"Yuit stop. Where are you going? He is a bad man," Khusi chided Yuti softly but Yuti floundered in her grip, screaming loudly.

"Let me go! He is my friend. He didn't do anything bad." By this time all the officers had gathered around Khusi who was trying to hold down Yuti.

"Yes he is Yuti. That's why he is behind the bars."

"The worst he could have done is pickpocketing. Now leave me." Yuti escaped from Khusi's grip and ran inside the cells, hugging Abdul.

"Yuti!"

"Ma'am, don't worry about her. Will you please sit down, and not scold her?" Khusi's body turned rigid as she saw the officers eying her with cold disinterest. The earlier playfulness had disappeared from their faces as they glared at Khusi.

"Stop her. He could really harm Yuti," Khusi muttered, gathering up enough courage but the officers quickly shook their heads.

"He wouldn't. Nobody will hurt her."

Anger spiked in Khusi veins at their ignorance. "How are you so sure, huh!? He is a crim … "

"Are kaha maar gaye sab ka sab? Koi zara juice to lete auu … " Khusi was accusing the officers for their careless behaviour when a heavy voice resonated behind her. 

(Where are you all, you dead bunch of fuckers? Can someone just bring me some juice … )

She swiftly turned backwards and her breath hitched when he saw another officer ambling inside the police station. He was approximately a foot taller than Khusi, his eyes staring right at Khusi from behind the brown shades, his uniform darker than the rest of the officers at the police station, with stars attached to it. Two other cops behind him, and a shabby man was also there, with handcuffs on his wrist.

"Aur yeh husna pari kaha se tapak pari?" he whistled, eying Khusi from top to bottom, pulling down his shades, his lips tipping up in a smirk.

(And where did this angel drop from?)

Khusi recoiled, taking two steps back from the man, his penetrating stare giving Khusi creepy vibes, a scowl appearing on her face.

"Kya ho gaya madam? Koi tang kar raha hai kya apko humane seher mai?" The man asked, cocking his eyebrows, a mischievous smile playing on his lips.

(What happened ma'am? Is anyone bothering you in my town?)

Huffing loudly, Khusi glared at the officer in front of her, done with the clowns.

"Yes! I'm here to file a report. Now can you stop all your nonsense and take my complaint!?"

"Are bilkul madam, aapke liye to jaan bhi hazir hai." 

(Definitely ma'am. I wouldn't even bother to lay down my life for you.) 

Khusi rolled her eyes as the man bowed dramatically in front of her and passed her a chair to sit.

"Aur bataye? Kya samasya hai aapko?" he asked, sitting in front of Khusi on another chair, his posture relaxed, one leg resting on top of another knee.

"Like this? Won't you note it down?" Khusi enquired. At this, the man chuckled, his voice a rich baritone.

"Madam, let's see how serious your case is, and then we will decide whether to take care of it formally or informally."

Khusi heaved a deep sigh annoyed at the officer's words, when a constable appeared in front of them with two juice glasses. The man took one for him and passed Khusi the other one, smiling at her provocatively.