A smell hit me then, full force. It jolted me out of my thoughts. I stood, swaying. I felt drunk. High and drunk. My brothers ears perked up, noticing something was going on. Acting purely on instinct, I raced through the woods, following the smell for miles, my brothers at my heels. I didn't know what the smell was and yet I recognised it. A warm, honey scent. I chased it down and tracked it to the chestnut headed female outside the packhouse. I slammed into her, pinning her to the ground.

Kara.

My sister.

This didn't make any sense.

I reigned my wolf in, he whined in confusion.

"Kole, get the hell off me!" My sister struggled out from underneath me, "what are you....your eyes..." she stared up at us in awe, "Oh! Finally! Mom! Dad!" She yelled, my wolf busied himself scenting her again, trying to understand where that delicious scent was coming from. I heard my parents approach but was too busy scenting my sister. A weight slammed into me from the side and I rounded on it, snarling. I yelled at my wolf to stop, recognising my father in human form.

"Dad, it's okay!" Kara scrambled to her feet. "Look at his eyes!"

"Mates eyes..." My Mom gasped and I knew without seeing, that my eyes had turned the colour of the moon.

"Kole, shift. Now." My father stood in front of me. My wolf as tall as his skin side. My wolf didn't want to budge, not now he'd found what he'd been searching for.

After several long minutes, I managed to tame him into submission. My brother appeared with a pair of sweatpants. He must have shifted and changed already. I slid them on, staring at my sister.

"Kole, have you finally found her?" My Mom approached, the only one that never looked at me with fear in her eyes anymore.

"Kara. She's covered in my mate's scent." My words were stiff, disjointed, the way they always were when I battled with my wolf for power. Everyone turned to my sister for an explanation. She looked confused.

"Where have you been tonight? You were supposed to be back hours ago." My Mom questioned her.

"I was coming back from my gratis shift at the clinic in town. There were roadworks and I had to take a diversion..." she trailed off, leaving the rest unsaid. My Mom filled in the blanks.

"By the Gulf lands? Are you insane?"

"I didn't have a choice, and I figured I would be far enough away from them I would be safe. But my car broke down and I didn't have service. I didn't dare shift and run home or walk into town in case they scented me. I was stuck for an hour wondering what to do when a car pulled over and a woman offered me a ride into town."

"A woman...a human?" My heart sank and I couldn't help but look to my father, seeing the dark memories, the fear of history repeating itself in his own eyes. My Mom's hand rested on my arm.

"A human Luna is a blessing."

"And a curse." I finished for her, speaking the truth we all knew.

"Our numbers are dwindling, it's no surprise the moon sent you a human mate." She turned to my sister again, "Who was she? Did you get her name?"

"Her first name, sure. Iona."

"That's it? No last name? No phone number?"

"No, Kole, I didn't think to ask." She snapped. I growled and my father stepped in front of me.

"Calm your wolf, son. We'll find her." He turned to Kara. "Did you get her license plate?"

"No, I'm sorry." She shook her head. My fists clenched in frustration. The moon was having a good time with me tonight. My mate could be anywhere by now. "But I think we could find her. She said she was staying in town for a few days, they only have a couple of motels here. It can't be that hard to track her down." A tiny flicker of hope sprung in my chest, so bright it hurt. I turned to my brothers but they were already nodding.

"We're on it. We'll find her, don't worry."

"Kara, go with your brothers and tell them everything you can." My father instructed, she nodded and turned to follow Kallum and Konnor inside.

"Wait," I called after her, "what does she look like?" My whole life I had wondered this question. My whole life I had waited to find out what the other half of my heart looked like. Kara smiled at me.

"Pretty, really pretty. With massive don't-fuck-with-me vibes." she laughed. "She's gonna give you a run for your money, brother." Still laughing, she headed inside. My parents turned to me and I fell into their arms, drowning in their relief.

I'd found her.

There was hope.

***

A.N.

Damn, it's been way too long since I wrote one of these. 

So, we just met Kole. What do you all think of him so far?

Are you excited to meet our heroine?

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to @ESHurricane for being my bestie, my inspiration, and never failing to have my back. She writes everything from contemporary romance, to raunchy westerns with gun-slinging heroines, to post-apocalyptic werewolf dramas, so if you haven't checked her out before then you gotta. She's awesome. 💕💕💕

Thank you  all so much for reading and for giving my book a shot!

I'll see you all in the next chapter!

All my love,

AJ

P.S. Early chapters are available on Radish!