Ch 27 - Mine

ATTENTION RADISH READERS! Please don't leave any spoilers in here or you'll be getting a spanking from Iona. Or Kole. Or Konnor. Whoever you'd prefer. 😘

T.W. This chapter contains scenes some readers may find distressing.

***

Kole.

She was gone.

But not just away, she'd rejected us, turned away from us somehow.

With a roar, forgetting Alpha Carson, forgetting Kara, I took off, Marcus and Carrick flanking me.

No. no. no...

She couldn't.

My wolf was ravenous but I held him back, finding that place at the back of my mind, the place made out of her. Her soft breaths as she slept, her scent, her hair in the breeze, the defiant tilt of her head. I would not let him loose. Not when it would put her at risk.

I followed her scent, panicking as it joined Kallum's and three other wolves I didn't recognise.

The sound of ripping flesh pierced the air and I followed it, finding my brother bloody and wounded but victorious over the bodies of two wolves, a third body I could smell not far away mixed in with my mates scent.

Kallum's wolf snorted in victory. Gulf warriors had nothing on mine and my wolf puffed up with pride, but where was my mate? Had Kallum hidden her?

I shifted, my brother following suit.

"She's gone," he said before I could ask the question. "Don't go after her, Kole. Let her go."

I stared at my brother, unable to comprehend what he was telling me. She'd left him to fight alone, abandoning her pack member. That was the pain I'd felt.

"Let her go? What are you talking about?"

He straightened, pulling himself to his full height though I still dwarfed him. "You can't do this to her. It's wrong and you know it."

He couldn't be serious. I knew my brother was in a dark place but he couldn't have done this. The open wound at my side burned, blood dripped down my right thigh but I ignored the pain. "You let her leave?"

"She didn't want to stay," he panted. "She didn't want you."

My lip curled at the insult, my teeth gritted as I fought not to tear my brothers head off.

"Kallum, watch yourself." Marcus stepped up beside me, warning my brother against pushing my wolf too far, but the look in my brothers eye told me that was exactly what he was trying to do.

"She didn't want you or your wolf. You were too weak," he was pushing me, baiting me and I knew it. My fists clenched, tendons popping. I didn't have time for this. I turned to get after her, she couldn't have got far and I could catch up to her easily, but Kallum stepped in my way. "I won't let you bring her back here. You'll have to kill me first."

That wasn't a problem for my wolf who so easily forgot who his friends and family were when his mate was at stake.

"Get out of the way, Kallum. Don't do this to him." This was Carrick. Ever the peace maker. "You'll get all of us killed."

"If we would do this to an innocent woman, we deserve to die."

"Does she deserve to die?" I growled, "you sent her out there alone? There are Gulf's everywhere and -"

"- And she can handle herself," he cut me off, "or they'll catch her and kill her and it will still be a better end than the life you offered her. You know it, we all know it."