The Third Moon Rises

Tanjiro and I dashed to the conductor's cart, slashing at incoming blobs that tried to stop us.

Tanjiro face grimaced as the scent got stronger and stronger, I was only starting to smell the demon now as we were 2 or 3 carts away from the front.

"It's right below us!" Tanjiro exclaimed, we readied our swords and cut into the cockpit, breaking through the bottom of the floor. Beyond revealed the bone of a neck, covered by fleshy blobs with eyes.

"Water breathing, first form! Water Surface Slash!" Tanjiro tried to cut through the bone but it was too shallow.

I followed suit "Demon breathing, sixth form. Bloody Fangs!" my sword dug into the bone, but it still wasn't enough to cut through, just how strong was this thing?!

Inosuke had entered the cockpit a little after us, I didn't notice the conductor who looked ragged and tired.

"Beast breathing! Fourth fang! Slice n' Dice!" Inosuke swung both his swords and made a deep cut into the bone. The grooves of his chipped sword making a deeper cut as he pulled away.

The flesh blobs grew from the wound and enveloped the cart, the eyes penetrating us with its gaze.

I looked into the eyes and I fell into a dark world.

I opened my eyes and I was put face to face with my family, who looked at me with disgust.

"I can't believe I gave birth to such a hideous monster!..." My mother revolted, holding her hand against her mouth like she was about to puke.

"You should just crawl into a hole and die." My father added.

Is this the demon's pathetic attempt to make me miserable? Does the demon not know that I've dealt with this abuse since birth? I've heard that line from my father more than a million times that I've come to take it as a compliment.

"...?"

"(Y/N)... I expected better from you, go home." I turn around to see the four. Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Inosuke and Nezuko.

"You're pathetically weak, we don't need you here, trash!" Inosuke yelled.

"Who are you? you should just go back where you came, I already have Nezuko-chan." Zenitsu holds her close.

This is just a dream...it's just a dream...I know it's just a dream but...

Why do I feel so sad?

From some people, I've only known a few months to talk to me like this, I shouldn't be sad. I shouldn't care...

Before I knew it, tears flowed from my eyes, I fear that they would tell me this in real life. I am weak, I couldn't do anything against those demons...someone always had to jump in and save me.

"Just kill yourself already." I looked down and see a reflection of myself.

"You want to be strong, don't you? Show me your resolve and I will help you."

"But I can't! I have to do this by myself, I don't need help from anyone!"

"Are you listening to yourself? Who do you think you're looking at?" Her face grimaced.

I stayed silent and let my tears make ripples in the reflection.

"...I am you, you are me, you don't need to be scared of losing anyone if you protect them."

I let out a deep breath and wiped my tears, drawing my sword and bringing it to my neck.

"Thank you." I smiled at my reflection and cut my neck.