CHAPTER XVII- Invasion Nemesis

April 21 2025- 5 p.m

Samuel walked in the house holding sweet oranges he bought from a vendor on the side of the freeway. They were ripe and bright and ready to be sliced open to eat. He set the bag on the kitchen counter and bent over to tie his unlaced shoes. He noticed there was a dead cockroach underneath his fridge. It laid motionless upright with legs in the air. Samuel looked a little closer and saw a glittering round object far behind close to the wall. He grabbed a broom and tried to brush it back toward him so he could examine it closer. The presumed dead cockroach lifted itself on it's legs and skittled it's way toward the living room. Samuel ended up cleaning up all the dust and dead insects that laid underneath for the past year or so. Everything but the shiny rock, but he was determined to claim the thing in hopes that it was a expensive jewel like a diamond or anything of that sort. A few more sweeps and he felt the thing flowing back underneath the broom's bristles toward him in excitement. He looked down at it and picked it up. He placed the broom leaning against the fridge. It was large and almost had a emerald like tint as the kitchen light refracted inside. He looked at it under various lights. He presented it to his sister, but even she did not know what kind of jewel it was. He decided to place it on top of his drawer for safe keeping, and to try to find a jeweler to decide whether it is worth anything the next day.

April 22 2025- 8:22 am

He had forgotten about the jewel that morning. It was due to the fact that it had disappeared. Like it never existed. Even in his mind it's existence was futile. He brushed his teeth in the bathroom to get ready for work. He was given an egg omelet on a ceramic dish on the table that morning from Camilla. He lathered it with pepper and ate it with his cup of coffee. Camilla handed him a piece of bread left over from yesterday night. It tasted sweet like the one's baked fresh from her homeland. She planned on leaving to visit Mexico for a month or two and to see her sister's and other family member's for the summer. There was a lot she had planned to do over there before she kicked the bucket in the far off future. Her brother wasn't making things easier for her if anything. There was still much that he was not allowed to do under his watch. She was still undoubtedly grateful for all the kindness he had shown her and all the other things he had done for her. Even after Jasmines death, he found way's of making things easier for his family. Though over the year's, it was difficult to see him build a wall around his heart in being a father to Angel. It was more apparent with Angel and it's impact affected him deeply. He would always cry out for his mother and father when he was a child. They promised that they would always be there for them. It was slowly chipping him away. She could only imagine how he felt at times. She always worried about him. She hoped maybe the raccoon would do something to guide him. Camilla would sometimes pray to God hoping that he would make him happy. Deep down he could only that himself.

Angel brought out a big white board with paper and bright letters glued on top. It was his physics homework/ project that was due that day. He only started it 2 nights ago, but to him it looked like it was ready to receive a grade higher than a C. It was kind of embarrassing knowing that he project was assigned two weeks ago and he barely had worked on it, but that didn't withstand the hold of embarrassment he had carrying the board around school. For a long time he did not realize that pieces of paper had been falling off the board by the hour. In the span of 7 hours a total of three stripes of important self written information were gone. In the end he only got a C-. It was worth all the trouble, even if it only costed him 2 hours of his life studying friction and the courses of boats along the ocean. Other kid's had better font's, pictures, and overall content.

He planned on hanging out with Emmanuel after school, but he had a lot more homework than he usually did and he did not want to bother him. For some reason he had the sudden urge to walk around town instead of going home. He felt adventurous and wanting to waste a bit of his earned cash. He ended up only grabbing a burger from In-n-out and some fries. A little time over he saw the moon in the center of the sky blinded behind the day's blue hue. It was already going to be sunset as he started walking home. He usually never felt comfortable walking around the city by himself. Something about it made him feel off. It wasn't like in the old day's of future past when people always walked. This was all walking home blabber in his mind. He imagined explosions in the horizon behind the mile's of tree's and buildings. He would first see the blast then a few seconds later the sound would pick up the dirt from the ground and blow it toward the east. He would have to take cover, but it would be cool to witness he supposed. Many people would die, but as long as he wasn't in it he was fine.

He pictured a boat gliding in the air cutting through the open air clouds. It traveled the world and brought anyone who was willing to jump aboard and cast away. Maybe that was something he would do. Jump on a boat and travel the world. He would always wonder how it would feel like to be free.

It was already dark when he got home. He saw that most of the lights were off from inside of the house through the dark windows. Angel twisted the knob slowly to go inside. He was petrified to find nobody in the house. Empty. Everything but a circle of golden pollen sprinkled on the wood floor where the red sofa once stood. The pictures of him and his family that were hanged on the wall were also gone. Just him and the wall's and floor under one empty roof. Stripped of a once occupied home. He looked around and yelled out his father's name across the hallways and into his room where it was just the same. Nothing.