Chapter 9: Sirens

Start from the beginning

Striker sighed. "Look, Sheila. I get where Enterprise is coming from, and to be honest, I used to be the same way."

"Really?" Belfast asked in surprise. "You? Forgive me, but that is quite hard to imagine."

"I know, right?" Striker laughed. "But back in my world, that's all I was, and all I saw myself to be. That was, until I began fighting the Sirens along with my sisters. We couldn't talk like you and I can now, but we could share emotions. It was part of the bond."

"Bond?" Belfast asked.

"Every class of ships in my world share a bond," Striker explained. "And seeing as how I was part of the Iowa-Class, I was bonded with the four of my sisters. It was when we were at sea that I connected with them the most. They helped show me there was more to being a ship than being a weapon."

"I see..." Belfast was silent for a long moment. "What were they like? Your sisters."

Striker smiled. "Well, Iowa was the most mature, always making sure we were safe. Missouri was reckless, always loving a good fight, but she was there for us. New Jersey was the second youngest; we called her Jersey or Jess for short. She was like Wisconsin, like Unicorn in a way, innocent, but always wanting to protect her family."

Striker clenched a fist. "It killed me when I felt them die. Ever seen Pacific Rim?"

"Yes," Belfast replied. "It is quite a popular movie among the Destroyers. They made me watch it."

"Think of our bond like the drift. When one of us was in pain, we all felt it. Consequently, I felt it when every one of them died. Wisconsin was the last of them, but before she died, she made me promise something."

"What was that?" Belfast asked.

"To live," Striker replied. "But after they were gone, I was out of it for a while." He looked at Belfast pointedly.

"You think that part of why Enterprise is acting like this is because of her sister, Yorktown?" Belfast asked in surprise. "I hadn't thought of that."

Striker nodded. "Trust me. It may not be the whole reason, but it's probably a big part of it."

"Then why hasn't Hornet shown any signs?" Belfast asked.

"Everyone deals with things in their own way," Striker replied. Looking up, he cursed. "Sorry, Belfast, I gotta go. I was supposed to report back to Wales as soon as I returned."

"I thought you didn't like taking orders," Belfast said in amusement.

"I don't," Striker agreed. "Doesn't mean I won't listen now and then." He ran off, leaving Belfast standing in the doorway silently.

It seems as though I had you all wrong, Striker, Belfast mused as the last Iowa ran off. You and Enterprise are more alike than I had thought.

As Striker ran past one of the academy hallways, he glanced over and saw Wales and Cleveland walking away from him, talking. Skidding to a halt, Striker stumbled and ran over to them.

"There you guys are," he called, causing both shipgirls to turn and look at him in surprise.

"Striker?" Cleveland asked in shock. "I thought you wouldn't be back till later today."

"Apparently everyone did," Striker replied, walking over. "So, did I miss anything?"

"Not really," Cleveland answered. "That is, aside from Enterprise being... well, Enterprise again."