Chapter 45

"What?" I choked out, feeling like I was just hit by a bus.

"And now that you know," he sighed and reached into the back of his jeans, "I'm going to have to kill you too," pointing a gun at my head. And not just any gun, the same gun I found in his desk drawer when I found the burner phone.

"To think you were worried about having Peter around. I don't let others do my dirty work," Chanyeol scoffed as he cocked the gun to the side, his grin widening, "But don't worry, I'll explain everything before I do since your bird brain can't comprehend."

"You're not going to kill me," I told him with faux confidence because if what he said was true, and I knew for a fact he didn't have a reason to lie, the contents of a thumb drive probably wouldn't stop him. But right now, I needed to be strong. Maybe if I projected cockiness, he would get insecure and let me go.

"I most certainly am. Do you think I'm going to let you walk out of here after you recorded the entire thing? Bad move, Chaeyoung," how he knew I was recording our conversation was beyond me, but I wouldn't let him see I was startled. I needed to claim a position of dominance or I would really end up with my brain sprayed across the walls of the room. And while I might have liked the thought months ago, I no longer did.

"You're forgetting about the flash drive. Do you really think I didn't make a copy? If I don't make it out of here, everyone is going to know your dirty secret and you'll end up behind bars for the rest of your life," I threatened.

"Oh, yeah..." he trailed off, scratching the side of his head with the gun like a complete psychopath that I confirmed he indeed was, "completely forgot about that,"

"Exactly, so you better put that thing down or-"

"You're so naïve," he laughed, "I killed people before. You really think an empty threat is going to stop me from killing you? I might love you, but you're not that special. I killed your parents Chae, might as well add you to the list,"

Clenching my fists at my sides, it took everything in me not to pounce on him and pummel his face. Asserting dominance or not, at the end of the day, he was the one holding a loaded gun aimed at my heart, not the other way around. So, though his words filled me with blinding rage, I had to stay calm and smart about the situation. No impulsive decisions.

"Empty threats?" I chuckled, "The files will be uploaded to the internet in exactly," I checked my wristwatch, "an hour if I don't cancel the operation. Do you really want that to happen?"

"You really think I'd let a USB containing sensitive information like that one just sitting around unprotected? Nice try, but I know you haven't copied the files, it's impossible to. You came to see me with an empty threat, merely hoping Id believe it. But let me tell you something, you don't have the upper hand here, not in the slightest.

I don't know how you even managed to get the password, but kudos. I have to give you that one. I didn't have high hopes you'd get in,"

"Why didn't you come to get it if you knew I had it? What if I got into it and just leaked the thing without confronting you?"

"Why should I? Even if you managed to get into it, it's not like I wouldn't know,"

"What? How would you know,"

"I told you, you really think id let a USB like that lie around unprotected? Really, it was stupid of you to open it in the first place. The second someone gains access to it, an email is sent out to Ashley and me. She is already on her way to Lisa's place,"

"She has nothing to do with this!" I told him quickly, "Leave Lisa out of this. She doesn't know what's on the flash drive,"

"Now, why should I believe you? Whatever happens to her next will be your fault. I hope you know that. I'm actually so kind to put you out of your misery so you don't have to deal with the guilt,"