Chapter Fifteen

Saturday at the beach with my mother helped little in cheering me up, but it was still really great to get quality time with her. I tried my hardest to keep my dismal mood under wraps so she wouldn't think anything was wrong, and surprisingly, I had succeeded for the most part. There were a few times that I had been looking out into the water at the lapping waves, in my own head, and she asked what was wrong. I chalked it up to PMS like I had the other day, and she bought it.

We spent the morning and most of the afternoon at the beach. I wore my black bikini, firstly because I enjoyed the annoyance on Draven's face when he saw me wearing it in the kitchen, and secondly because it made me feel better. Yes, it was petty, and yes, I was hoping that it'd get enough of a rise out of him for him to do something about it. But alas, the moment we were alone, he promptly left the kitchen without a backward glance.

It stung, but I was solely responsible for his behavior, so I figured I deserved it. Still, I couldn't help but do it, wearing it blatantly without wearing a cover dress.

That was my inner masochist coming out to play.

I laid down on my beach blanket after coming back from a quick swim in the sea water. I put my sunglasses on and closed my eyes, enjoying the feel of the water droplets evaporating on my skin.

"Azura," My mother nudged my shoulder and I looked over to where she was sitting in her beach chair beside me. She was wearing one of those floppy straw hats that to me, personally, looked fucking ridiculous, and a maroon colored bikini that showed off her naturally tanned complexion and ample bosom. Forty two years old, and nothing on her sagged, I mused proudly. I only hoped that I was the same at her age.

"Hmm?" I hummed and laid my head back down. I turned over on my stomach and brought my elbows under my cheeks to rest on.

"Did you see that boy?"

I had a somewhat contented smile on my face from the heat of the sun-it was a rather windy day and I was a bit chilled-but it died a quick death. I turned my head from her so that she couldn't see my frown, and closed my eyes once more. "Mm, no."

"Look!" She whisper-hissed at me and I groaned.

"I'm really not interested, Mom."

"How would you know? You haven't even looked at him. He's been looking at you, though. In fact, he is right now."

"Do not wave him over, Mother." I knew her enough to know that she was seconds away from doing just that.

"How'd you know I was going to that?"

"Because I know you."

"Well, you should really look. He's very attractive, young, muscular, dark hair, and I think I saw a tattoo on his back, though he's not turned around, so I can't say for sure. He's wearing sunglasses so I can't see his eyes. But he's looking this way and speaking to one of his friends. He's very focused on you, dear. Come on, one glance."

I sighed heavily, knowing that she wouldn't let this go. She was constantly watching for guys for me, even when I explicitly told her not to.

I rose on my elbows and followed her gaze to the direction of the supposed hunk standing by the edge of the water. I pulled my glasses down to rest on the edge of my nose and sized him up.

He was a looker alright, but he had frat boy written all over him. The red solo cup in his hand, and the lazy way he was sending me a 'come hither' smile only confirmed my assumption. He nudged his friend, speaking slowly as if he could tell that I was checking him out.

I most definitely was not, and I promptly turned away, fixing my sunglasses, and folded my elbows back under my cheeks. "Not my type." I told my mother resolutely, closing my eyes again.