TWELVE

"Most nights I hardly sleep when I'm alone."

M I L E S

Carl and his gang didn't come for me—nor Liam. It had been five days and my bruises were finally healing. As Liam instructed, I didn't go to Carl's club to gamble. Instead, I went to one that was even further out of town. The club was called The Golden Arrow.

The name was deceiving because there was nothing golden about it. It was a step up from Carl's club but it definitely wasn't anything to brag about. All the men who played cards at the gambling tables looked much older than the men who played at Carl's club.

This club was calmer, with less hungry glances toward me. However, these men preferred to be tighter with their money. They didn't like to take risks, which was not the way of a true gambler. This meant that I got less money. It wasn't a huge deal, though; all my mother cared about was that there was some type of cash on the counter each night.

Today was Friday, and my ribs felt lighter. It was 7:30 in the morning and normally, I would still be fast asleep, but Maddie needed my assistance in doing yet another errand. I wanted to tell her to go to hell, but the guilt of lying to her ate at me.

I couldn't tell her that I was gambling at an illegal club twice a week. She'd strangle me. I certainly couldn't tell her about the real reason my ribs were fractured. So, here I was, at The Juice Stop picking up fruit smoothies for Maddie and her friends.

There were four smoothies, and the employee placed them into a cardboard cup holder. I gave her a smile before I turned to exit. Just as I was about to open the door, a group of boys sauntered into the smoothie shop. They looked like they had just come from a run, their faces were flushed, but they were talking animatedly. Full of vibrant energy at 7:30 in the morning.

To my horror, I realized that I recognized one of them. The boy with the chestnut-colored eyes and voice like honey. Jake. He scanned me quickly and dismissed himself from the group of guys he was with. I squirmed.

"Now I'm starting to think you're following me, little raptor," he said, crossing his toned arms.

I let out a laugh. "Really? I'm pretty sure it's the other way around."

He smirked. "You caught me. I'm a stalker."

"See? Wasn't so hard to tell the truth, was it?" I retorted, smiling.

Miles, get out. 

Jake laughed. "Seriously though," he said, eyeing me peculiarly. "Why do I keep running into you?"

I shifted my footing, aware of the smoothies that were still in my hands. "If I were religious, I'd call it fate," I offered playfully.

Jake ruffled his dark hair and said, "Guess you just can't stay away from me."

Leave, miles.

"Jake, I have—," before I could tell him that I needed to leave before my sister tore my head from my body, he interrupted.

"What are you doing Sunday?" he asked easily.

I looked to his friends who were still being rowdy. I scrunched my nose. "Why?"

Jake's illuminated eyes softened at the gesture. He chuckled and drew closer to me. "If it's fate, then I think we should at least properly hang out. We owe it to the gods, little raptor."